DIY Refugium

ndippy77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 35 gallon tank that has been up for about 6 months now and I have been having some algae problems on the sand and the glass but not on the rocks. I have reduced the amount of food that I feed and have also shortened the amount of time that the lights run each day. I am currently running an aqua clear 50 HOB filter and I have come across some youtube videos of people turning them into refugiums. I was just wondering if anyone else has actually done this and had success with it actually lowering nitrates and phosphates. I am currently doing weekly water changes also.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 35 gallon tank that has been up for about 6 months now and I have been having some algae problems on the sand and the glass but not on the rocks. I have reduced the amount of food that I feed and have also shortened the amount of time that the lights run each day. I am currently running an aqua clear 50 HOB filter and I have come across some youtube videos of people turning them into refugiums. I was just wondering if anyone else has actually done this and had success with it actually lowering nitrates and phosphates. I am currently doing weekly water changes also.
If your only filter is the aqua clear then I would not try to replace it with a fuge. I would consider adding a second filter/fuge to handle nutrient export in addition to the mechanical filter, if there is room?

OP
OP
N

ndippy77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only filter is the aqua clear then I would not try to replace it with a fuge. I would consider adding a second filter/fuge to handle nutrient export in addition to the mechanical filter, if there is room?

so you would suggest making a separate filter a refugium and also run the one i am currently running then?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a HOB refugium. Leave the HOB filter the way it is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back