DIY Rock Tutorial/Info Thread (Rocks, walls, floors, etc.)

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perlite is used for plant growth or something? Is that the same thing we are talking about?

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Op waddup?
Have you considered use of admixture in your mix?
http://www.cement.org/cement-concrete-basics/concrete-materials/chemical-admixtures

Do consider getting something like this when you do commercially. Gives you more uniform mix and much larger batch.

mixer.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that was an excellent read. Lots of straight forward info. I just want to make some pedestals to keep my natural Lr Off the sand bed. It will only be several inches thick. Also a question please.
Which would make for a quicker cure time. A dense slab or porous? I assume porous. I think the realtively thin rock just 2 or 3 inches will help with cure time as well.
I'm just concerned about the curing time. I don't think I have the patience to wait months before setting up this new 180. It's killing me now just looking at it !
also Mis Prsnity Your tank looks really nice !
HPIM8379.JPG

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that was an excellent read. Lots of straight forward info. I just want to make some pedestals to keep my natural Lr Off the sand bed. It will only be several inches thick. Also a question please.
Which would make for a quicker cure time. A dense slab or porous? I assume porous. I think the realtively thin rock just 2 or 3 inches will help with cure time as well.
I'm just concerned about the curing time. I don't think I have the patience to wait months before setting up this new 180. It's killing me now just looking at it !
also Mis Prsnity Your tank looks really nice !
HPIM8379.JPG
Thank you :D My tank is 1 month shy of 2 years old now... Time sure flies!

To answer your questions....
The fastest way I found to cure the rock is to put it in a tank or clean trash can outside in the shade with the top open to the elements. Thick or porous came out all the same for me. I put mine in a glass tank with a media-less filter on it for flow but you can use a powerhead just the same. I let it rain in the tank as well. Change the water daily until the ph comes down to 8.4. Once at 8.4 test every other day. Changing the water out when it rises to 9, Once the water stays at 8.4 for 2 weeks it's no longer leaching and ready. It can take 4-6 weeks this time of year here in Florida.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a local building supply that showed me a white garden product and later I googled perlite.

Is this perlite?
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/store...feed=Froogle&gclid=CJD79cbCoM4CFQxrfgod_HQLDw

If it is not, is there a different name to identify what you've used?
Yes it is. But check out feed stores as it's generally cheaper. Also, crushed argonite is also known as chicken feed at the feed store which can be used in place of perlite. I pay $10 -$15 for a 50lb bag of "chicken feed" lol

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry, I asked incorrectly. When you do a diy ground with the diy LR process, do you place a thin liner between the glass and cement or can you place the cement on the entire bottom pane?
Im planning to do a 3D background and the bottom pane just so it's not an actual bare bottom. Im guessing 1/4" thick at max for the bottom.
Personally I wouldn't do that at all unless you make it extremely light weight. But if you do this I would suggest lining it with something in case you ever need to remove it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prsnity, Thanks for the reply, I'm just south of Jax so I know all about the weather this time of year ! Ya Hotter than Hades ! I made a couple of pieces yesterday afternoon. They are sitting in the sand mold.I want to check it bad !

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me jump in here. It's really nice to have people to show a 1st experiment ! Sorry, I just couldn't wait to see ! I took the pillars out of the mold this afternoon. They were very hard except for the top 1/2, 1 inch which easily crumbled, below the rock was good and solid I think I mixed the slurry too wet and a lot ran to the bottom of the mold. That did make a nice flat solid base though. the texture looked pretty good and will be porous for sure. It was easy to do and fun ! I can easily see bigger pieces made.
So maybe I took them out too early,they are sitting in a "dry"tub stuck into a garbage bag at this time. Not sure how long they should sit before soaking. Next round I will take my time, Promise ! :D
HPIM8385.JPG

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they are solid/thick, I would leave them for 48-72 hours. Another thing you could do is make them hollow inside by putting a pvc pipe wrapped in cellophane wrap to remove it easily. They look pretty cool though!

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
gj cracker. What type of gravel did you use? I like the texture.
Can you post the recipe you used pls.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's West, 1 I use some argonite for calcium reactors. my lfs had an old dusty jar in the back that had a busted lid so he gave me a discount on it. It was very coarse.
It was 1 part Portand cement, 4 parts argonite. It would be pricey to make bigger pieces I'd think.
Prs, So for clarity, when You say fully hardend. Do You mean fully dry curing (for the reaction to complete) ? Or just when I feel confident they are good and solid ? Then the water soak to remove Po4.
I need to go back and re read a little. Maybe I'm thinking too much ! LOL
also good idea on a pvc tube to make them hollow. I have plenty of that around. Like a huge bin of bits and pieces of tank projects gone by. LOL

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity of cement can be 12.5-16ppm... waaaaaaaaay to high for your tank. This is the reason to cure it, to leach the alk down to normal levels. We can tell when it is normal if the cure tank water stays at 8.4 ph for 2 weeks. We then know it is done leaching. Alk is the main thing that you don't want to see rising and falling in your system. It is the #1 parameter that you must keep steady/stable.

Hardened as in dry and hard concrete. So yes to both questions. I tend to let mine sit in the open air outside for a day or 2. However, I use crystal softener salt in my mixes and sand also along with "chicken feed". When my rock is ready to be removed from the tub of sand I soak it a bit to disolve the salt (creates holy rock), then I put it outside a day or 2 then into the cure tank.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back