DIY solidstate UV sterilizer

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering with the new uv leds 250-270nm types if anyone has cobbled together a solid state uv sterilizer?

I am thinking you could simply put a uv transmission glass tube in contact with the water and mount the leds along a 6-12”section. Another thought would be to make a laminar flow type fountain and introduce the uv to the stream. It acts like a fiber optic and will make a very long contact path in a short stream. Uv leds in the proper range sub 300nm are a bit expensive but you get 10000hours of operation out of them no high voltage and no mercury. you could even engineer them to be in the water stream in the line returning to the sump. Lots of possibilities. I have not heard this idea before.
Eventually there will be laser diodes for even more possibilities. Could write much more but wanted to prime the pump. Ps you can also use this same system to real-time monitor things lik3 ph oxygen dissolved solids....the tube acts like a covette. Just put suitable fluromer on the other side with phototransistor and thermal comp cell. Might use 405nm for some of those to excite. Dichroic Glass over detector. Light baffle on either side of reaction chamber. Could use fiber optics to take signal away from water......what ideas you got.

OP
OP
kecked

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered up some uv leds. The flux on them is puny. It would take hundreds to equal a 9w mercury bulb. Dry hole for now

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back