DIY Stand Height

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing some guidelines that say to match the tank height. I'm sure this probably isn't an issue, but if in doing one for a 180, can I make the stand 30" to 32" tall if my tank is 24"? Will this this effect the structural integrity at all? I'd hate to build something a little taller only to have it bow and flex and then eventually break!
TIA!

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viewing angle ? Is the tank going to be enjoyed in a sitting room? Or mostly viewed standing ? You can build something structurally sound at any height , I would consider more of how you are going to be relaxing enjoying the tank to determine the height of the stand.

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on viewing angel and your ability to access. I built my 125g stand 36" tall and I have to use a step ladder when I want to do some maintenance. I think most manufactured stands are 30" tall

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately (sort of), a couch goes in front of it, facing away. So mostly you'll be looking at it standing. I'm just trying to clear the back of the couch

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the viewing angle. Any stand I have built was 3 feet high at least. I may have done my 220 on 3.5'. I bought an established 65 gallon system once, its stand was maybe two feet at most, I could literally look down into the tank. I did a 65 gallon with a three foot stand once, and if I were to do it again, I would probably put it at four feet. I want my eyes to be at the bottom of the top third of the tank; I do not want to be hunching over to enjoy my tank, lol...

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build stands for ease of maintenance. Measure from your armpit to the floor, subtract the height of the aquarium, there's your stand height.

My new system will be a bit lower than that... but the tank is 30" wide, so I need a bit of reach ;)

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build stands for ease of maintenance. Measure from your armpit to the floor, subtract the height of the aquarium, there's your stand height.

My new system will be a bit lower than that... but the tank is 30" wide, so I need a bit of reach ;)
That's a really good rule of thumb!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately (sort of), a couch goes in front of it, facing away. So mostly you'll be looking at it standing. I'm just trying to clear the back of the couch
Google some sofa tables and check the standard heights. Should give you a better idea where to start.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may have to bump it up a tad if you have oversized furniture like me.

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1^ I did exactly the same thing but went an inch higher. I am able to reach the bottom of my DT on my tip toes. Also I am able to sit right in front of it and stare.

Goslugsgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was my method as well.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think viewing angle is most important...csn always get a small step to use if need to reach the bottom of the inside of the tank.

I'm in the process of finishing up my stand build now and set it at 40.5" which allows me to stand and look into the tank and not stare at the top rim or reflection of lights on the surface. But mine will be in a location where it will not be viewed from seated locations.

If I were you, I would build it so that the bottom of the tank bottom is at the same height as the back of your couch... That would be the most aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back