DIY Stand question

gontheroad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a stand for a 240 gallon tank. I would like to make the stand taller then the current and the previous owner chipped it up a few places.
Is there any issue using 6x6 for supports with 9”x2” LVL being the cross pieces for edges and a 2x4 base. I would cut out the 6x so the Lvl and 2x would be set into the 6x flush.
I would then use ply for the top back and floors. Find some ikea doors to match the current room.

thoughts?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 6x might be overkill. Should be videos on YouTube on how to build the stand you need. It's where I found the plans for my 90g. I have a few pics of the finished product in my build thread so you can see the framing.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also think 6x6 would be overkill. As long as the additional weight of using overkill supports doesn't hurt anything, I will always opt for overkill. My large tank was on concrete floors so the additional weight made no difference for me.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick video I found of a 240 build. Might help with your questions.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid anything larger than 2x6 or 2x8 if it was me, and wouldn't use 4x4 or 6x6.
The primary issue is that they are more difficult to fully dry in a kiln due to their thick cross section and moisture content, which could potentially cause some issue down the line and reduce their load bearing capacity.
If properly sheathed or flush and supported in the middle, 2x6 or 2x8 are sufficient. Just ensure the load doesn't rest on any screws. Higher grade wood will be dryer, and by extension stronger.

Back