diy stand questions

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went looking at 2x4 wood this morning. i noticed that alot of the lumber is not straight. I plan on using a table saw to straight it with cuts. the cuts will be where the tank will be sitting on. does it matter about the other parts of the lumber needing to be straight? if its bowing and etc.

its going to house a 125 gallon marineland reef ready tank.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went looking at 2x4 wood this morning. i noticed that alot of the lumber is not straight. I plan on using a table saw to straight it with cuts. the cuts will be where the tank will be sitting on. does it matter about the other parts of the lumber needing to be straight? if its bowing and etc.

its going to house a 125 gallon marineland reef ready tank.
Your gonna want to find the straightest pieces out of the bunch. Some are so bad a table saw won’t correct it. If you do the standard design a lot of the vertical peices sit flush against another so it pays to find straight lumber.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your gonna want to find the straightest pieces out of the bunch. Some are so bad a table saw won’t correct it. If you do the standard design a lot of the vertical peices sit flush against another so it pays to find straight lumber.
thank you. im oping 2x4's will be enough to handle a 125 gallon tank.
Attach files

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you feel about those 2 x 4 prices ;)

Teasing. Here is the deal if you haven't done so already do a search on Rocket Engineer Tank Stand (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964). It is the real deal and will take care of your concerns.

Another option if you don't mind the overhead cost is using 80/20. Tidal Garden reference below

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going 8 feet with center braces. im adding my lifereef refugium and ato to it instead of having it sit on the floor.
Wish I made mine a little bigger. I went with the dimensions of the tank and it looks good but I’ve seen some cooler stands hah with shelf space I could have benefited from.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh i also forgot for my apex also. I have it in a old stereo case that I got from my brother many years ago. im gonna incorporate my apex into the stand also.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my current stand is 29 or 30 inches in height. i have enough room to take off my skimmer cup to empty it and clean it. im making it atleast 3 to 4 feet tall. with sump underneath it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 125 and I built my stand from 2x6 and it seems way stronger than it needs to be. If I were to start over I would very likely choose to use 2x4s.
517CA897-7A29-4CE1-B595-B1B31AF667F0.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished mine by “skinning” it with old wood from pallets. I actually dislike the way it looks, plus I should’ve made it taller and a bigger than the tank, but it was a learning lesson.

Finish carpentry is not my strong suite, but it looks okay enough and it was cheap. That is the only advantage of going with a rustic look is that any imperfections add character, for instance my cat uses it as a scratching post and I don’t even care.
82C1368A-F921-4BC9-A7A2-7008EB4C439D.jpeg

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished mine by “skinning” it with old wood from pallets. I actually dislike the way it looks, plus I should’ve made it taller and a bigger than the tank, but it was a learning lesson.

Finish carpentry is not my strong suite, but it looks okay enough and it was cheap. That is the only advantage of going with a rustic look is that any imperfections add character, for instance my cat uses it as a scratching post and I don’t even care.
i actuallu like the rustic look. although the only thing I don't like are the doors. I think I would of done something different with it.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Skills dude!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actuallu like the rustic look. although the only thing I don't like are the doors. I think I would of done something different with it.
I thought they were barn doors at first sight. Which would go well with that look but maybe not with that size door idk

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would never expect 2x6 behind those pallet planks haha I dig it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 90 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back