DIY Stand without center brace?

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking to build a stand for my 180 gallon tank, with two corner overflows, does anyone have any schematics for one without center braces.

Thanks!

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not positive, but I think you can get away with it if you use a 2x6 or 2x8 for the top brace. Search this subforum for stand design threads, there are dozens/hundreds of threads and posts about wood choice and bracing requirements.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm scanning through now. I saw that Inappropriate Reefer did something similar, just worried about corner overflow

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen people notch the upright (not load bearing) in the corner to accommodate corner overflows. I don't think the actual frame will be in the way.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the famous "Rocketengineer" stand design. If you search him you should find it here. For sure on RC. When I had a 180 I used his design. The top was 2x6 the rest was 2x4 no center brace.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the famous "Rocketengineer" stand design. If you search him you should find it here. For sure on RC. When I had a 180 I used his design. The top was 2x6 the rest was 2x4 no center brace.

Lol I have found so many people using his name but not his designs

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
quick question then what is the purpose of the green sections?
In conjunction with horizontals they help prevent racking and give the vertical supports (pink) something better to grip with. Otherwise you'd need pocket holes and / or additional screws where they meet. They (green) are the non-load bearing verticals I mentioned notching.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In conjunction with horizontals they help prevent racking and give the vertical supports (pink) something better to grip with. Otherwise you'd need pocket holes and / or additional screws where they meet. They (green) are the non-load bearing verticals I mentioned notching.

oh I see. Thank you

John494

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youtube,,,, king of dyi

I made a stand following his instructions, cost me about $40-50 in materials (wood and screws). I didn't build for a 180 gallon, it was for a 60,, but the idea is the same, he also has other videos showing the build of stands for very large tanks

kremer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, check out Kremco.net for aluminum extrusion that can be used for a tank and tank base. I am currently building a 75 gal tank and will have a post soon showing the assembly. Controlled Dynamics is the company with the framing system options.

Fish Tank 1.jpg

Fish Tank 1.jpg

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, check out Kremco.net for aluminum extrusion that can be used for a tank and tank base. I am currently building a 75 gal tank and will have a post soon showing the assembly. Controlled Dynamics is the company with the framing system options.

Fish Tank 1.jpg

Fish Tank 1.jpg

Intresting, are they expensive? I don't mind spending some money, but I'd rather break the bank on coral.

kremer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intresting, are they expensive? I don't mind spending some money, but I'd rather break the bank on coral.
No its not expensive. A nice feature is the strength of the brackets, can use less hardware/connections when building. I can get a price on the frame that was just built if you would like?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only trouble with wood for a 6' long stand with no center brace is the necessary size of the front beam. It just takes up a large amount of your opening. As much as I like working with wood myself, I'd probably pay someone to weld up a steel stand if I was doing a 180. I hate center braces too.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back