DIY Sticky Aiptasia Killing solution. Reef safe?

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley

can you please advice if there is anything concerning on my DIY Aiptasia killing solution?

I have been using this recipe for around 4 years, without a problem, on my SPS dominated reef tanks and my experience is positive. However, I was wondering if it could be building up something undesirable, over time, that I can potentially regreat in the future. Specially because a couple of friends asked me to use it, too.

The recipe is basically a mix of Calcium Hydroxide, RODI water, Glue stick and isoprophyl alcohol. I am obviously curious about the toxicity of the glue and isoprophyl alcohol.

Also, I looked at the Data Sheet of glue and it seemed ok, but I don't know for sure. Here is it:
https://www.bostik.com/australia/Bostik-Products/glu-stik-stationery-adhesive

ps. I can give the exact recipe, if anyone is interested in trying it.

Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fsamir , I would like the formula. I have a few aiptasia and they are on vertical walls which makes them a bit harder to kill with conventional pastes. You can post it here or send me a PM. And thanks for the offer.

Joshs' mixed reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of putting isopropyl alcohol in a tank in any way or at any level. Alcohol like vodka yes. But not isopropyl alcohol. I've very interested in finding out what others have to say.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used isopropanol before as a bacterial food source - it oxidizes to acetone that can then be consumed by bacteria!

I'd wonder if the glue would cause a bad bacterial bloom however

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an aside... but I use isopropyl for cleaning the outside glass of the tank with a microfiber cloth. Always assumed if the isopropyl got in, it wouldn’t harm anything.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this thread is a few months old, I thought those reading more recently might like some information about the glue. Stationary (as in "paper", not "unmoving") is typically a form of hide glue made from animal collagen. The traditional form of stationary glue is fish collagen, made from rendering (aka as "boiling") fish heads, skeletons and skin leftover from the butchering process.

It's not clear that this particular brand is the traditional material, but based on the advertising text, I suspect that it is likely a combination of fish glue, cornstarch as a thickener, and some sort of preservative to guard against bacterial growth.

The more common glue sticks use an acrylic polymer as the glue, since synthetic materials are generally cheaper and more reliable. These formulations typically contain the acrylic polymer, a detergent as an emulsifier, and a glycol ether to keep the stick moist. All should be fine in small amounts in a reef tank, and the formulations don't contain metals or other ingredients that would be of concern over a longer period.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of an aside... but I use isopropyl for cleaning the outside glass of the tank with a microfiber cloth. Always assumed if the isopropyl got in, it wouldn’t harm anything.
I don’t think it will in those amounts.

OP
OP
FranklinDattein

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback and sorry for the delay in posting the recipe.

To produce 15ml of Aiptasia sticky paste:
2g of Kalkwasser
10ml of RO/DI water
6g of Bostik clear glue

It can be mixed manually, but it is easier with a drill. You can adjust the amount of glue, to suite the thickness of the syringe tip.
After a few weeks on the shelf, it will change viscosity, but it can be softened again after 5 seconds in the microwave.
I was playing with isopropyl alcohol, to try to stabilize viscosity, but it hans't made much difference and I no longer use it.

It took me a little while to post, because I wanted to evaluate the effectiveness of alcohol and I also came across a comercial product that actually works: "Aiptasia Solution from Precision Solutions".
This product hardens like cement, after 30 minutes in saltwater and stays in place after the flow is back on.
I've also seen a product on Youtube, that works pretty much the same way, but it doesn't sell in Australia. It is called F-Aiptasia. Love the name :p

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone happen to know if other “clear glue” than Bostik are reef safe?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back