OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt a drilled tank is better. But, my tank is not drilled, it is already painted and insulated on back, bottom and sides and I can't stress this enough, I don't want to try my first time drilling tanks on a 500 dollar tank LOL. Sooooo, siphon overflow it is.

I read that the tubed overflow is safer than the CPR style since the aqua lifters have a history of failing if not replaced yearly.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt a drilled tank is better. But, my tank is not drilled, it is already painted and insulated on back, bottom and sides and I can't stress this enough, I don't want to try my first time drilling tanks on a 500 dollar tank LOL. Sooooo, siphon overflow it is.

I read that the tubed overflow is safer than the CPR style since the aqua lifters have a history of failing if not replaced yearly.
If your worried about overflow just use that smart switch device to turn off your pump if the syphon fails and the level raises too high. Works on my undrilled tanks.
AutoAqua

SMART LEVEL SECURITY

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a cpr overflow run for like 5 years with no aqualifter. Just had the hole on top plugged. Also had them run with failed aqualifyers for who knows how long with no issue. Just nice to have a back up plan in place, which is not an option with a tube design.
Aqualifter pump is not the only pump option. Although the cheapest and most common

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your worried about overflow just use that smart switch device to turn off your pump if the syphon fails and the level raises too high. Works on my undrilled tanks.
AutoAqua

SMART LEVEL SECURITY

That’s a good idea. Then it’s time to prime your u-tube to get it running again. Or with cpr, or other tubeless design, just turn it back on and it starts working all by itself

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been planning a 55 gallon sump to go under the 120 Display. I have attached a pic of what I think the layout will be. Would any of you more experienced reefers take a look at it and let me know what you think?
sump-2-jpg.1035808

Thanks

First off, I love the drawing! Sure beats a bar napkin and crayon like how I brainstorm!

I would suggest putting your baffles closer together. 3.5inches is a ton! I imagine you will use 1in or 3/4in pvc? Try to picture how many of those pipes would fit inside your baffles. That's a lot of water flow! I use a pump with slightly higher specs, and used 1in baffles for my first sump build. Been very happy with the flow!

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I love the drawing! Sure beats a bar napkin and crayon like how I brainstorm!

I would suggest putting your baffles closer together. 3.5inches is a ton! I imagine you will use 1in or 3/4in pvc? Try to picture how many of those pipes would fit inside your baffles. That's a lot of water flow! I use a pump with slightly higher specs, and used 1in baffles for my first sump build. Been very happy with the flow!
Late night and Microsoft excel are not a good combo lol.

Thanks for the advice. The reason I have the baffles that far is that I wanted to be able to silicone both sides and be able to get my arm between then for regular maintenance.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same overflow. It’s been running for 2 months now nvr lost siphon yet (knock on wood). Seems quality made and imo I don’t think it’s necessary to make a silencer tbh.
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I have taken many suggestions and actually measured the inside dimensions of both tanks and have made some revisions. The 120 gallon tank by the inside numbers actually holds just over 108 gallons. The 55 gallon actually holds just over 46 gallons. I have figured a 4 inch drop in water level in the DT if the power goes out and the sump should just hold it all at full capacity. I have ordered the Eshopps 1200 overflow, a Lifegard Quiet One Pro 6000 water pump and the Autoaqua water level shut off switch. I think I am ready as soon as the Construction company gets the basement done. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, I really appreciate the insight.

Sump Final Design.jpg

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behind the 55 gallon soon to be sump is a floor drain. my water mixing station (you can just see the blue 65 gallon barrels and white 55 gallon barrel) and my quarantine tank. 100 GPD R.O/D.I. unit is on other side of basement with long tubing running to barrel under quarantine tank.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behind the 55 gallon soon to be sump is a floor drain. my water mixing station (you can just see the blue 65 gallon barrels and white 55 gallon barrel) and my quarantine tank. 100 GPD R.O/D.I. unit is on other side of basement with long tubing running to barrel under quarantine tank.
Stress testing the stand with the 55 I'm turning into a stump. Getting closer.
0426191627.jpeg
0426191627a.jpeg

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on using an Eshopps PF-1000 overflow at $85 bucks but have seen the Seapora 1000 overflow for $62 bucks. Quite the difference but they don't look very different.
Eshopps_pf1000.jpg
Seapora_1000.jpg
Does anyone have experience with those?
Those break siphon

Don’t be afraid to drill it and put an overflow box in it

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to put silicone on both sides of the baffles? I have a very thick bead on all baffles and intend to wait a week to do any leak tests so the silicone cures completely. The baffles are 2 inches apart and I can't get my hand in there to smooth out the silicone on the insides. I did think of using a piece of wood sanded to make the round inside corner smooth.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd version looks great! Glad to see you took proples’ Advice :)

I’d just put the fuge compartment after the skimmer compartment so
1 - pods don’t have to be skimmed
2 - pods get clean water

Looks great!

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to put silicone on both sides of the baffles? I have a very thick bead on all baffles and intend to wait a week to do any leak tests so the silicone cures completely. The baffles are 2 inches apart and I can't get my hand in there to smooth out the silicone on the insides. I did think of using a piece of wood sanded to make the round inside corner smooth.
You're definitely not the first person to encounter that issue! It should be fine in my experience.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back