DIY Waterfall ATS - 1 yr later

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several great DIY algae turf scrubbers here on the forum, so I figured I would share what has worked for our system.

An important note at the start...we have a large system that is lightly stocked, but I do expect this to scale as the system matures.

Our sump is located behind the wall from the display tank so we do not have the spatial constraints that are common for someone attempting to utilize the space under the stand. Even so, if your sump has a return chamber with an open top, you might consider this option. This project was started to support our 220gal display & evolved as we learned from mistakes & made other improvements to the system.

We started with a rough design plan:
01 - Design Plan.JPEG

The goal was to create a backup means for nutrient export & gas exchange using the waterfall.

Here were the supplies:
02 - Parts.JPEG

Add to this a return pump & LED grow bulbs. We re-used a Jebao DCP-2500 running at 50% (15 watts) & LED plant lights from our refugium. Excluding the pump, all of this was less than $30. The light was $15. The plastic mesh can be found a local craft store around $.50 / sheet.

Next we built a prototype:
03 - Waterfall ATS Prototype.JPEG

The height turned out to be absurd, but the concept was good. The plan was to fit the ATS into the return chamber. At the time, we had a 4 chamber custom sump using a standard 75gal & it while very tall, it worked.

Here's the fitting & testing before installing the mesh.
04 - Prototype Install.JPEG

We used a dremmel to cut a channel in the PVC. The mesh is then notched & pushed into the crack (lots of examples of this on YouTube). The mesh was secured using zip ties.

The first day of Build 1:
Build 1 - Day 1.JPEG

After 7 days of Build #1:
Build 1 - Day 7.JPEG

Here's what the first build looked like when it was installed.
Build 1 - Return Chamber Install.JPEG

And three months later:
Build 1 - Month 3.JPEG

Observe that we learned it was important to put a cover of the top & sides of the waterfall. As algae builds, it will cause the water to spray vs. a constant flow over the screens. We found the sump area wet a few times.

We then upgraded the refugium in the system using a 50gal Rubbermaid stock tank & removed the 4th chamber in the sump. This provided a great space to relocate the waterfall into the refugium.

Build 2 was derived from all the same parts, but we cut down the unit to 22" to fit in the space under the stairs. We discovered that most of the zip ties were not necessary & actually made it harder to scrape.

Day 1 of Build 2:
Build 2 - Day 1.JPEG

Day 7 of Build 2 again shows decent growth on the screens:
Build 2 - Day 7.JPEG

Finally, here's a pic of Build 2 in the refugium (the cord mess was corrected):
Build 2 - Remote Refugium Install.JPEG

We then upgraded the display to 300gal, & took the opportunity to create Build #3 of the waterfall ATS to better utilize space in the refugium. Here's a picture of the system today:
Build 3 - Installed.jpg

While it has a smaller exposed surface area, we still achieve great growth.

Here is 12 days of growth:
Build 3 - Day 12 Growth.jpg

After scrapping the screens & turning back on the pump, small algae pieces fall into the refugium, which is like a Thanksgiving feast for the various Pods that are harvesting there. It's an amazing thing to watch.

I appreciate there are many styles of ATS available, but after 1 year, the most important factor is that nutrients remain 0, corals are thriving & it can be adapted to fit whatever space might be available. It's very cheap & effective running on approx 40 watts.

Enjoy!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive. I've been thinking of incorporating a similar style sump when I (hopefully) build a FOWLR tank and have both the reef and FOWLR running off of the same sump. The main drawback was nutrient export for both. You've given me something to think about.

OP
OP
R.Weller

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive. I've been thinking of incorporating a similar style sump when I (hopefully) build a FOWLR tank and have both the reef and FOWLR running off of the same sump. The main drawback was nutrient export for both. You've given me something to think about.

Fantastic. That was my goal.

We are on a quest to avoid using any disposable media (chemical filtration) & I do not want the hassle of cleaning filter socks. So far, we are avoiding both. Our primary filtration remains mechanical with the skimmer, but I'm convinced that once the biological filtration has fully matured, the skimmer won't be necessary. Time will tell.

OP
OP
R.Weller

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a quick reference to other DIY enthusiasts & their builds on R2R. This isn’t intended to be exhaustive, but to provide other design considerations for those seeking to incorporate an ATS.

DIY variety based on available space:

#1 – Detailed build with good history:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/building-your-own-algal-turf-scrubber-ats.541118/

#2 – Similar to commercial options:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-scrubber.666027/

#3 – A closed system w/ a clean design:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-algae-turf-scrubber.705298/

#4 – When vertical space is limited:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-scrubber.702008/

Overall algae scrubbing basics:
https://www.algaescrubbing.com/threads/algae-scrubber-basics.264/#post-2508

There is also an ‘upflow’ design that leverages an air pump, air stone & submerged plastic mesh & container inside the sump. This would be good for anyone with extreme space limitations yet could manage to incorporate an LED grow light. If I find a good DIY example of this, I’ll add to this post.

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this design. I may add on to my tank in the likeness of Thai one. Just a quick question is flow determined by a formula of some kind or just what the screen can handle. Also I have a few kessil h80 doing nothing so I am going to use them in the bloom mode. This is simple and effective...love this setup!

OP
OP
R.Weller

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this design. I may add on to my tank in the likeness of Thai one. Just a quick question is flow determined by a formula of some kind or just what the screen can handle. Also I have a few kessil h80 doing nothing so I am going to use them in the bloom mode. This is simple and effective...love this setup!

When I did the research, there are recommendations for the amount of flow based on the exposed surface area of the screens. I approach this from a conservation point of view, so I reused a return pump from an earlier system (Jebao DCP-2500), on the lowest settings and moved up from there. The more flow you have, certainly the more growth you will see (within reason of-course). However, provided nutrients are in check, it seems to me that enough flow is better measured by the effectiveness of the unit vs. a prescribed rate. The design I have now has two exposed screens above the waterline @ 13" x 10" & 13" x 6". The pump is running at 2/3 capacity (18 watts) or approx 440 gal/hr.

Well done reusing existing lights. It's rewarding putting old tools to use again. Enjoy your project.

OP
OP
R.Weller

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile, so a brief update on this project.

We have had other DIY projects taking much of our time recently, & the ATS was left to grow for 21 days w/o maintaining. I finally got around to scrapping the screens, & the growth remains impressive. Here's a view during the process.

1590943538887.png

The algae growth is very thick & heavy. I see other ATS projects with long string / hair algae but this seems to grow a different type. The weight of the algae tends to pull the screens in the channel, & while water still flows over the surface, I expect it is less effective as it is not as evenly distributed.

Where it really counts is nutrient export.
1590944041514.png

It has been 4 months in the 300gal & we have not done any water changes. With our ATS, the skimmer & trace element dosing, there is no need.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would have way more surface area for algae over buying one. I like how you used the rigid non flex tubing. This would last ages and the cost would definitely be worth the money over buying a high end algae scrubber.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back