DIY Wooden "Water Reservoir"?

reefkeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I thought this might be a good place to ask about this.

I want to build a "reservoir" or container for water out of wood. It's actually for hydroponic/aquaculture use; recirculating/deep water culture. I could maybe use some design advice. I think a rectangular trough, roughly L = 60" x W = 12-16"ish x H = 12-16". It'd maybe hold 30-35gal depending how high the water level is. It would be lined with either pond liner, or heavy duty plastic sheet (the sheet could be easily thrown away after use). I could use this type of container for rdwc with netpots in a "lid" of sorts, suspending the plants in the solution, or even just drain to waste with nursery pots/similar if I leave a fitting (valve, etc.) open to drain.

I want to put this on wheels too. Or, on a "stand"/table (just a base of sorts) with wheels. This will be something I can attach uprights to for holding a horizontal trellis net as well.

I'm just looking for ideas or suggestions on the construction of the actual box, considering the weight and the forces of water. I'm honestly not too "worried" about it, it's incredibly common to use the 27 gallon tough totes from home stores to hold upwards of 22 gallons of water - and they bow outward.

Thanks for any input.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back