DIY WP-25 Wavebox

Ryan@ShelteredReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 23, 2017
Messages
257
Reaction score
299
Location
Poughkeepsie, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd share this here as well. I used 1/2 inch veranda PVC trim to construct the false wall and wave box on our upcoming 75 gallon display. I used mortise joints for added strength and to provide a channel for the PVC solvent cement. The internal dimensions came out to be roughly 3x5.5x12H. The hole for the WP-25 is 1-3/4 inches in diameter. This box is able to create a fairly adequate standing wave utilizing only a ~$50 pump and a ~$20 sheet of 1/2 inch PVC available at big box hardware stores.
IMG_7205.JPG
IMG_7209.JPG
IMG_7214.JPG
IMG_7217.JPG
IMG_7218.JPG
IMG_7219.JPG
IMG_7220.JPG
 
Cool idea. Why white PVC rather than black acrylic?
 
Its readily available and I haven't really seen it used. It was also extremely cheap compared to acrylic. The only weird thing is that it floats if its not secured. That said, I actually like it. Its easy to cut and rout for joining, and can be glued with regular PVC cement.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new