dKH pretty low, calcium and magnesium normal

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Today did some testing and I found that my alkalinity is pretty low.
dKH: ~6
Ca: 470
Mg: 1440
Salinity: 1.025
pH: ~8
Nitrate: ~6
Ammonia and nitrite: 0

These testing results are 1 week after a water change. I use Tropic Marin Pro salt and a new batch of water has around 7,2 dKH. Should I take action and dose some sodium bicarbonate? The tank is pretty young (~4 months). I have an organ pipe coral and some zoanthids. I find it strange that my carbonate is so low and calcium and magnesium are still pretty normal (little high for calcium). Someone knows whats going on?

Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium and magnesium levels are pretty normal (TMP mixes around that range) considering the age of the tank and that you're only stocking with soft corals (that don't really need calcium). As your coralline growth increases you may find that your magnesium consumption increases slightly - but if you're doing semi-weekly water changes you probably won't even notice.

94Rudolph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing seems unusual and a little boost with sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate seems to be a fine plan.
Hello, I can directly buy sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate in China. Can I directly import sodium carbonate to improve basicity and pH value?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I can directly buy sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate in China. Can I directly import sodium carbonate to improve basicity and pH value?

Both baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and washing soda/soda ash/sodium carbonate are fine alkalinity supplements, and the latter (sodium carbonate) will also give a pH boost.

You can bake sodium bicarbonate in a home oven to make sodium bicarbonate. That is a procedure I recommend if you cannot find a good quality sodium carbonate, but can get baking soda at a grocery store.

Food grade sodium hydroxide can be used as an alk supplement with an even larger pH boost per unit of alkalinity added.

Back