Do all sumps eventually overflow ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had sumpless fish tanks for more than 40 years and I am now in the process of upgrading to a 120 + 30 tank. With sump. I’ve never had a sump and I’m terrified of the system overflowing onto my floor, one day.

I’m doing a lot of research and the more I read, the more terrified I become. So tell me, have you ever had a sump dump onto your floor ?

My system would be as « idiot proof » as possible, but still. From what I read, it’s impossible to prevent 100% of system failures.

Thanks for your input !

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No…. A properly setup sump will have enough space for water when the pumps are all off, and once pvc and other plumbing is setup properly I have never had any issues with water. Sumps only dump water on floor in rare instances and they are so common for a reason.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. As long as it is setup correctly, AND drains kept clean. Snails have been known to block drains. But that floods the tank, not the sump. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Not all sumps over flow, make sure when you fill it up you do a return water test. Meaning you allow the water to return back in the event of an outage. Drill a hole in your return line so it breaks siphon and doesn’t allow a lot of water to enter your sump

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spilled 100s of gallons over the decades by having tubing disconnect from canister filters and other things like that. Silly stupid stuff on my part.

Never once have had a sump overflow. If designed properly they can’t. Be sure to take the time and do it right and it’s about the last thing you need to worry about.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system now has been going 7-8 years with no problems in that department.
Just gotta check it when off and see where it's at. No worries.
I've honestly gotten more water on the floor doing water changes.
If you're super worried, install check valves everywhere.
And congrats on the upgrade! I'm jealous.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system now has been going 7-8 years with no problems in that department.
Just gotta check it when off and see where it's at. No worries.
I've honestly gotten more water on the floor doing water changes.
If you're super worried, install check valves everywhere.
And congrats on the upgrade! I'm jealous.
Thanks for sharing !

I haven’t made up my mind 100% yet. I keep changing my mind. I’m afraid to be overwhelmed and it’s just too much for me. I’m the anxious type as you can see, lol !

I’m having a check valve installed in the overflow box. The whole set-up will be installed and tuned by professional. I couldn’t sleep at night if I tried to do it myself…

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing !

I haven’t made up my mind 100% yet. I keep changing my mind. I’m afraid to be overwhelmed and it’s just too much for me. I’m the anxious type as you can see, lol !

I’m having a check valve installed in the overflow box. The whole set-up will be installed and tuned by professional. I couldn’t sleep at night if I tried to do it myself…
No worries. I'm sure you could do it if you put your mind to it. It really isn't that difficult once you do it once you got it!
Be a part of the installation, ask questions and bug them as much as possible so you know what your system is going to do.
Sumps are great in lots of ways and if I know you, you've done insane amounts of research so I won't ramble on.
Just have fun.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To setup a sump you need to do 3 adjustments/tests.

1. No flood with power outage. Sump should be able to take upper container draining with no flooding.
2. Normal operation resumes when power returns.
3. During drain/overflow failure (blockage, syphon break), insure the upper container does not flood. Sump should run dry before that.

My first sump I didn't test 3.

To build up your confidence take a couple of containers in the garage or driveway and setup a sump/upper container and make those adjustments. It's better to have floods there than in the livingroom.

The reason I say upper container is the sump by definition the lowest container. It is possible to have the display tank below another container (for filters, refugium, skimmer, etc). In that case the display tank is the sump also.

my .02

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back