Do all sumps eventually overflow ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always oversize my sumps when possible such that they can handle all the backflow. It's just so much more convenient and eliminates the risk.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had sumpless fish tanks for more than 40 years and I am now in the process of upgrading to a 120 + 30 tank. With sump. I’ve never had a sump and I’m terrified of the system overflowing onto my floor, one day.

I’m doing a lot of research and the more I read, the more terrified I become. So tell me, have you ever had a sump dump onto your floor ?

My system would be as « idiot proof » as possible, but still. From what I read, it’s impossible to prevent 100% of system failures.

Thanks for your input !
Your water level in the main tank will drop to a point where it can no longer go down the drain.
When pumps are off your sump will rise a few inches. As long as it's big enough to take that back flow it can never over flow

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water level in the main tank will drop to a point where it can no longer go down the drain.
When pumps are off your sump will rise a few inches. As long as it's big enough to take that back flow it can never over flow
Except for the back siphon on the return line, which is what most of this thread is about.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back