Do bleached nems need food?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SamMule
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2020
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
1,706
What state or country do you live in
Montana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchiker BTA was doing well until about a week ago. Had a run-in (I suspect) with one of my emerald crabs, resulting in a torn foot.
Nem expelled for a few days, and is now bleached. The cut appears to be healed and its behavior has returned to normal.
Closed in the afternoon, but open in the evening, through night, and morning. The tentacles are pretty spindly as well now, but it did take a piece of mysis yesterday.
My questions are:
Since it has expelled its zooxanthele, it cannot photosynthesize, right?
Should I feed it more often to nurse it back to health?
Or move it higher in the tank for more PAR?
Still hosting the porcelain crab ok which, btw feasted on the expelled matter for a few days.
 
Hitchiker BTA was doing well until about a week ago. Had a run-in (I suspect) with one of my emerald crabs, resulting in a torn foot.
Nem expelled for a few days, and is now bleached. The cut appears to be healed and its behavior has returned to normal.
Closed in the afternoon, but open in the evening, through night, and morning. The tentacles are pretty spindly as well now, but it did take a piece of mysis yesterday.
My questions are:
Since it has expelled its zooxanthele, it cannot photosynthesize, right?
Should I feed it more often to nurse it back to health?
Or move it higher in the tank for more PAR?
Still hosting the porcelain crab ok which, btw feasted on the expelled matter for a few days.

I do not wan to be a debbie downer, but in my experience, when a nem has expelled it's zooxanthellae, it's a goner. Maybe someone else can offer something to try. But keep an eye on it, you don't wan it dead in your tank.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, its been a rough go haha. Didn't plan on a nem in a new tank... I thought it was a gonner after the crab incident, but seems to be improving now.
I feel like if it can get the zoos repopulate, it may pull through.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new