Do corals NEED to be quarantined? If your don’t quarantine corals what do to do?

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So most people have told me they don’t quarantine corals. I know some people do though. So if your not quarantining whats The best steps to take products to use etc. before placing them in your main tank? aside from dips what other things are people doing to reduce the risk of putting something unwanted in their main tank?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the end goal is to prevent unwanted pests from entering your tank, here are what I consider the order of importance if that's your goal. You can obviously chose to QT or not, however, you increase your risk of introducing a pest if you start lower on the list.

1) QT
2) Manual inspection and removal of pests/eggs
3) Removal of frag plug/rock/substrate
4) Effective Dip

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with quarantining, then I added real live rock and none of it mattered. What I will say is I dip/scrape/remove frag plug and closely inspect. Since stopping quarantining only thing I have is the world's smallest bubble algae on one of my SPS frags. I did get rewarded for my dealings with live rock in that my tank took off and SPS has never looked better.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a suggestion. Loose about $3,000 in SPS frags and spend weeks ripping out corals, dipping them, blowing them off, etc to get rid of AEFW......THEN come back and ask if it is worth Qt'ing corals.
Wow. That’s horrible but I don’t think l ever invest that much on coral.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That’s horrible but I don’t think l ever invest that much on coral.
giphy.gif

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above.
I’m not sure if you have fish in your tank, but keep in mind ich, velvet, and other fish diseases can be introduced by not quarantining. You can introduce trophonts, theronts or tomonts either with the water or on living rock or a coral’s skeleton.
Dips aren’t going to help with this. I’m sure you know this though ;) . Now that being said, I’d say the vast majority of people don’t quarantine their coral.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who quarantine coral? How do you do so? Do you keep any fish in the quarantine tank to maintain a nitrate source or do you just dose?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive only got a 55 gallon and I’m keeping pretty basic stuff
You’d be surprised at how much money you can dump into a tank that size!!! I have a 54 gallon!
Its painful to say I’ve spent about 5,516.00 in corals. No room left now! Time for an upgrade!
Haha!!
Yes I keep track of every purchase. Lol!!!

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who quarantine coral? How do you do so? Do you keep any fish in the quarantine tank to maintain a nitrate source or do you just dose?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ive only got a 55 gallon and I’m keeping pretty basic stuff
I said the same thing myself when I got a tank, now I ended up spending thousands on corals and fish. However, it still looks empty :rolleyes:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a terrible addiction this hobby! Haha. When I set up the tank, I had every intention of keeping basic corals. That plan didn’t last long! It doesn’t have to be that way, but I’m a sucker for all things colorful. It’s like eww, that 21 tails torch sure is pretty! Well, there goes 500$. Man, I sure do like that Orange hammer. Well, there goes 400$. I gotta have that jaw breaker! There’s another 300$. Just like any other hobby, you can spend whatever you want, but certainly not necessary to have a beautiful tank!!!

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a terrible addiction this hobby! Haha. When I set up the tank, I had every intention of keeping basic corals. That plan didn’t last long! It doesn’t have to be that way, but I’m a sucker for all things colorful. It’s like eww, that 21 tails torch sure is pretty! Well, there goes 500$. Man, I sure do like that Orange hammer. Well, there goes 400$. I gotta have that jaw breaker! There’s another 300$. Just like any other hobby, you can spend whatever you want, but certainly not necessary to have a beautiful tank!!!
have a few other hobbies and a mortgage I pay alone as a single guy I’ve seen some of those orange hammers etc. but that’s my Jeep payment lol.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back