Do high end skimmers work more efficiently?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to echo a few other posts. 1st what is defined as "high end"? Are we looking at a $50 skilter (100g rated Hahaha) vs a vertex 180i (also rated at 100g)? Or are we looking at skimmers with the same size necks as too large or too small will not perform well? Or similar skimmers with the same air and water flow draw? Is electrical efficiency important to you?

After we narrow down what comparisons we are looking at I think we look at design features. How easily does the body come apart for cleaning? How reliable is the pump? How thick is the acrylic? Are any of these features important to the person buying the skimmer? Some may not care about disassembly for cleaning if they can save some money, other people might consider that a key feature. Does someone want to pay more for a sicce pump that could last a decade or more or are they ok potentially buying a new pump every couple years? How large is the cup, can you auto clean it or drain it, how is it attached for removal? There isn't really a right/wrong answer here, just factors for consideration.

Will one be carbon dosing or is that something they might be interested in the future?

There are just a lot of factors to consider with a question like this one and some individual preferences as well.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer works better then yours lol

IMG_6709.JPG

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Review is of what BRS caries,hmmmm
I wouldn't call it a review. They've had that skimmer testing tank for quite some time now. I've never seen any data on a controlled test on which skimmer pulls out what and how fast, even though it appears they have done some testing. From a business standpoint, if they released data showing the 300 dollar skimmer out performed a 500 dollar skimmer (or something along that line) they'd be hurting their own marketing. And I guarantee from a pure performance standpoint you'd see some of that.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With threads like this you will usually never get a real answer form most unless you ask those who have actually used a high end skimmer which most reefers have not but will give an opinion anyway.

I have seen some threads with absolute garbage skimmers are being recommended, people always defend their purchases. People seem to think their skimmer is great because they have never tried a better skimmer.

How can someone give a answer if you never tried something, that is opinion.

Mundeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it a review. They've had that skimmer testing tank for quite some time now. I've never seen any data on a controlled test on which skimmer pulls out what and how fast, even though it appears they have done some testing. From a business standpoint, if they released data showing the 300 dollar skimmer out performed a 500 dollar skimmer (or something along that line) they'd be hurting their own marketing. And I guarantee from a pure performance standpoint you'd see some of that.
Their margins on the $300 skimmer might be better than that of the $500 one...only they know. Can't really assume they're making more money because one sells for more.... maybe one manufacturer chargers them $200 on the $300 one, and another manufacturer charges $450 on the $500 one. Food for thought.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Their margins on the $300 skimmer might be better than that of the $500 one...only they know. Can't really assume they're making more money because one sells for more.... maybe one manufacturer chargers them $200 on the $300 one, and another manufacturer charges $450 on the $500 one. Food for thought.

This is absolutely true.

Plus for example. Most of the lower priced skimmer use a off the shelf pump like sicce with a standard needle wheel.. Not a bad pump by the way but for example Bubble king uses a pump that cost as much as most skimmers and then they make a needle wheel for that pump making it more efficient. Most higher end skimmers are rated actually closer to what they can actually pull while most skimmers you need to double or even triple the size of the skimmer because they are rated for a tank with one fish in it.

For example JBNY uses a Ultrareef skimmer rated 225 on a 270 and it keeps up fine. How many skimmers can claim that?

They are also engineered to be balanced. So many skimmers are hit and miss like Vertex. One model overflows and the next one work really well... They design a skimmer and then throw a pump on it instead of designing the body around the pump. A skimmer body needs to be designed for the amount of water and air the pump pushes. I have never seen so many skimmers that have overflow issues as nowadays.

Another thing is reliability that comes with most higher priced skimmers but with a few of them moving to Chinese pumps lately that is slipping. They are trying to close the gape in pricing.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the overwhelming majority of skimmer issues comes down to the operator behind it. The Bubble Magus skimmers for instance; they can work quite well but people go way outside the recommended water levels because they had some issue in the beginning (overflowed, no skimmate, whatever the case may be). They found a setting that at least worked even though it wasn't optimal. The skimmer will work as advertised but for some reason, we as consumers think we no better than the manufacturer. I don't think apples to apples tests would show much difference between the low end and high end in regard to the organics that were actually removed, hence, why we never see said results. Ease of maintenance, reliability, and consistency are likely to be a fair bit different but I bet overall performance is pretty close.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good start is a skimmer that has a pump made by sicce (Italy) Then price range, foot print, ease of cleaning and efficiency . I have had ASM,Vertex, homemade and Now AquaMaxx Q2 of which has it all that I aforementioned. <$350. (Marine depot) This guy can be taken completely apart, every bit too top to bottom.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good start is a skimmer that has a pump made by sicce (Italy) Then price range, foot print, ease of cleaning and efficiency . I have had ASM,Vertex, homemade and Now AquaMaxx Q2 of which has it all that I aforementioned. <$350. (Marine depot) This guy can be taken completely apart, every bit too top to bottom.

Arent too many on the market that cant be completely disassembled. To that end, there isn't anything easier to disassemble and clean than a Deltec.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting discussion

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SEDRA KSP-5000A is a direct replacement that's what came on one of mine when new http://www.saltycritter.com/pumps/sedra-pumps.htm
or this one it comes with the venture but you need the adaptor for 4.99. so that's half the price of the other site https://www.avastmarine.com/products/sicce-psk1000
there out of stock right now butI would go with the sicce and adapt you venture to it. or buy the venture from aquarium source.com

I bought an old Reefmania ps2 with 2 sedra 5000 pumps. One pump works fine but is really loud. The other was missing the impeller and it leaks but works if I swap parts. I currently have the pump in a 40 gallon breeder and it is pulling dark skimmate but not what I expect it too but I only have one pump working on it now.

The impeller is 50 bucks and another 12 for the gasket. New pump is like 115. Current setup will not fit under my stand or it would be really tight so trying to decide if I should spend a bunch on a new skimmer or invest in parts or new pump.

Anyone know of a cheaper impeller that will fit the sedra 5000. Also is it more advisable to buy a different pump that is stronger and quieter, concerned about the fit also.

One other question since I can not find any information on this skimmer online for setup would a maxijet 1200 be enough input for a 27 inch tall by 8in wide skimmer.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an old Reefmania ps2 with 2 sedra 5000 pumps. One pump works fine but is really loud. The other was missing the impeller and it leaks but works if I swap parts. I currently have the pump in a 40 gallon breeder and it is pulling dark skimmate but not what I expect it too but I only have one pump working on it now.

The impeller is 50 bucks and another 12 for the gasket. New pump is like 115. Current setup will not fit under my stand or it would be really tight so trying to decide if I should spend a bunch on a new skimmer or invest in parts or new pump.

Anyone know of a cheaper impeller that will fit the sedra 5000. Also is it more advisable to buy a different pump that is stronger and quieter, concerned about the fit also.

One other question since I can not find any information on this skimmer online for setup would a maxijet 1200 be enough input for a 27 inch tall by 8in wide skimmer.
Not really familiar with reefmania, a maxijet is no where near a sedra 5000 for output. look at the asm skimmers on marine depot probably close to same skimmer as they are a knockoff of the old Euroreef. Sedra pumps produce a lot of heat and you could modify to use one sedra 9000 or a DC pump but if you spend to much money then you may as well buy new skimmer. If it has both pumps working well it would handle a heavy loaded 150 plus gallon tank.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
myskimmer.jpg
skimmer[1].jpg

This is the reefmania ps8 I have in 40 gallon sump, and a photo I found online showing the how the sedra 5000 pumps are hooked up. You can see in the 2nd photo the inlet line coming in above the right sedra pump. Right now I just have the maxijet 1200 attached drawing water into the skimmer. The sedras I believe just recirculate and chop for bubbles. Question then is how many gallons do I need to pump into the skimmer from the sump?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back