Do high end skimmers work more efficiently?

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious what type of engineers these companies have on their payroll. Any idiot can make a bubble catcher, especially one that just LOOKS like a protein skimmer (inverted cone). It will take physics and math to convince me beyond a $500 price tag for something of the caliber for a 300gal heavily stocked.

Bubbles are not just bubbles. Well, they are. But not all bubbles are created equal in the organics to water ratio they carry.

Give me a name and model of a good skimmer for 300 gallon heavy stocked tank under $500. Don't include cheaply made Chinese knock offs. There are some well made skimmers made in China. What skimmers have you actually used on a tank that size. Somebody on here said an SCA was a great skimmer, I don't want a skimmer with an internal pump where I have to pull the entire skimmer to clean the pump. I don't want a skimmer where I can't remove the cup and neck with one hand if I have to hold the skimmer to remove the cup because of the way it fits or the skimmer body is so light. The ASM G4+ will do it for under $500 but for some reason people think old school is not as good as most of the new stuff. The ASM is similar to Euro Reef/Reef Dynamics, The Reef Dynamics were heavier, with the quick-loc cup connection made removing cup and neck easy. Build quality, and ease of maintenance no matter if they are internal or external skimmer is worth a bit more money. But you can not buy a Reef Dynamics new anymore.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy Jeff, from Lifereef told me that skimmers these days, with needlewheels, make bubbles to small, so they pop prematurely. He said he talked with skimmer manufactures at shows about this and they agreed with him but have to keep coming up with something new.

Also, that report puts different types of skimming methods against each other, not really skimmers using the same method. And fwiw, a 5" skimmer on a 180 is way to small, by a large margin. The reason your 10" is probably pulling darker is because the 5" misses so much, but like you said, not enough to impact the tank. My first saltwater tank didn't even use a skimmer!

It is said to match the skimmer to the tank. But when you have 1,400 gallons of flow draining, you would need almost a 10" or multi-pump skimmer to keep up. I think the reason skimmers don't do as well as they should is because most of the Sicce pumps in all of them only handle a small fraction of the water flowing by.

And yes, build quality with the skimmer is a huge part in the decision making. As I said, I was looking at the Reef Octopus Elite 200, currently their best skimmer line out, and there's the internal version with the external pump for $599, and the the space saving model for $799. I emailed CoralVue about why a space saving skimmer that produces less than an external pump skimmer (because of contact time) would be $200 more. They said it's because of the extra parts needed for the space saver. If that wasn't a load of crap! It's because they made the internal one so wide it won't fit most sumps and almost force you to the space saver. Luckily the internal will just barely fit my sump. I don't even need the dc pump it comes with. Imo, dc pumps are completely unnecessary on skimmers. The Elite is basically a clone of the Vertex with a dc pump and I think the pump is what adds most of the dollar value.

But yes, I base the cost on everything, not just performance. A lot has to do with after sale support. I'm not even a Reef Octopus fan. I was first considering the Icecap skimmer, also CoralVue but not RO, but the gph was too low for the size.

I have a FOWLR tank so I need more skim to get more pee out, especially in a heavy bioload situation.

I actually talked about the difference in contact time between space savers, internals and externals.

Yes there are better skimmers, still that alone is not worth the sticker price. You have to look beyond performances because it's not a big deal honestly. Noise, materials, pump, size, quality, replacement pumps, DC or AC, features, ease of use and cleaning. These are the things you've got to compare to even attempt to justify a BK or similar.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What we need is a new scientific fact based study with new modern skimmers! Although I suspect it would look a lot like the old study..

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me a name and model of a good skimmer for 300 gallon heavy stocked tank under $500. Don't include cheaply made Chinese knock offs. There are some well made skimmers made in China. What skimmers have you actually used on a tank that size. Somebody on here said an SCA was a great skimmer, I don't want a skimmer with an internal pump where I have to pull the entire skimmer to clean the pump. I don't want a skimmer where I can't remove the cup and neck with one hand if I have to hold the skimmer to remove the cup because of the way it fits or the skimmer body is so light. The ASM G4+ will do it for under $500 but for some reason people think old school is not as good as most of the new stuff. The ASM is similar to Euro Reef/Reef Dynamics, The Reef Dynamics were heavier, with the quick-loc cup connection made removing cup and neck easy. Build quality, and ease of maintenance no matter if they are internal or external skimmer is worth a bit more money. But you can not buy a Reef Dynamics new anymore.

Here is that skimmer < $500 https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...uariums_Reefs-AquaMaxx-UJ00156-FIPSIS-vi.html

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id have to say Yes and No. Skimmers have come a long way from ten years from the old coralife and skilter filter days (yes the skilter filter was my first skimmer and I loved it). I've used a odysea protein skimmer which was weak. i've also used a turboflotor skimmer (which was my first quality skimmer and good). I am now on my 2nd Reef octopus skimmers 8". I would choose this over a bubble king which is upwards of $1000 for the similar size but I can't imagine it pulling junk out faster than my skimmer.

If you have the cash and won't something dead silent then I can see why you'd go for a higher end skimmer but performance wise its up for debate. Id choose a skimmer that is mid-range in price and Reef octopus, Icecap, and Skimz will be my choice for life.

I rather spend the extra money on lighting, and flow where their is no contest - High end is key

Last edited:

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run 4 different skimmers(RO,SKIMZ, SRI, ATB) on my tank and its clear the best is the ATB. Not because it is the most expensive but, because it skims the hell out of my tank and produces more nog than any of the others.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've run 4 different skimmers(RO,SKIMZ, SRI, ATB) on my tank and its clear the best is the ATB. Not because it is the most expensive but, because it skims the hell out of my tank and produces more nog than any of the others.

That's because ATB are well designed. Out of all the skimmers I have ever tried ATB pulls the most and is very very stable. Cone design is still the best.
I have to say I have found another skimmer company that comes close in performance but it is better built and a little cheaper and that is Ultra Reef. I still think the ATB beats it slightly but the Ultra Reef is easier to use and better built.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone in the opposite direction of the new fancy skimmer innovations. For my new build I've picked up an old school Lifereef SVS2-24 venturi skimmer. Just waiting on the new Sicce ADV AC pumps to come out to run it. The Sicce ADV 7.0 that I want to get for it reportedly pushes 1900 gph at a mere 55 watts. After all the head pressure from the elbows, venturi spa injector and gate valve for throttling back flow, I'm probably looking at a mere 35 or so watts for power consumption.
When you get your pump let me know how it runs I have had a few skimmers but so far I think my favorite is this Lifereef

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you I just bought a 24" lifereef about 4 months ago. I am running it with a mag 12 and have been very happy with its combination of skim mate quality, ease of maintenance, and the ability to set it and forget it.

But as for your original question I would say yes it works more efficiently because it's a much bigger skimmer with a larger pump, reaction chamber, and longer neck. This facilitates a ton of contact time and produces a TON of foam. Was the price steep yes but was it worth it for the larger skimmer I believe it was.
I agree Set it and forget it just empty it lol

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oc...SgaA7lJjvPH5B1osdW_Gmjj3RibI2gPQaAtrrEALw_wcB

Okay fine....it's $600.....

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If BRS ever does end up doing a test for this, I'd personally like to see what results two skimmers in the same system produce. Common thought might be that two skimmers in the same system would probably each pull half as much, sharing the load so to speak but that might not necessarily be the case.
I'd be curious to see if, they might both pull as much as they usually do, though. So would two skimmers pull more and/or twice the load?

That, for me, says a lot because if that ends up being the case, then it speaks volumes on how important a role a skimmer plays in any given system?

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a huge fan of the SCA skimmers. I use the SCA-301 on my 90g frag system and the SCA-302 skimmer on my 220. Sca's are told to be Bubble Mag knock offs but perform beautifully. The SCA-301 is rated for up to 65 gallons and only cost $100!!! While the 302 is rated for up to 180 gallons and is only $174 free shipping right from SCA Aquariums. Both are dead silent and I can't see myself going with any other brand of skimmer after my experience with these two bad boys.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get your pump let me know how it runs I have had a few skimmers but so far I think my favorite is this Lifereef
I don't think the sicce ADV 7 is going to have enough head pressure. I had a Lifereef 6 foot tall years ago the pump noise from having a pressure rated pump was not a problem as it was through the wall in the garage. Again this is what I was saying a lot of the old style skimmers still work very well.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people really did look to see what they can get for about $500 to work with a 300 gallon system. Glad I am not the only one that searches around. True pressure venturi skimmers work great but they require pressure pumps and the pumps can be noisy. Same with Beckett and injection skimmers. When I am looking at skimmer size if it gives a gallon range 200-400 this would be 200 gallon medium heavy load or about 150 gallons with SPS and lots of fish. If they only give a size like 250 gallon and no other info I look at that as light load good for LPS. Don't get me wrong each tank is different but I have had SCA, ETSS, Lifereef, Aqua C, Euro Reef, Reef Dynamics. For simplicity, and ease of maintenance I will take the Euro Reef/Reef Dynamics but if I am ever in the need for a new skimmer I will not look at price as much as how well it works, ease to clean, warranty, customer service. Most companies do not sell the exact same product for years so they become obsolete when you need repaired.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back