Do horseshoe crabs taste good?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anyone ever tasted horseshoe crabs? I realized that my tank would be open to a lot more giant inverts(true/spiny lobsters, rock crabs, etc) if I am just willing to eat them near their max size. The thing is, I've never heard of anyone eating horseshoes outside of their native range, and I'm not sure if their taste is worth it. I can probably keep a Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda reasonably well for its entire life, but I haven't been able to find any of those in stock. Mostly just Limulus polyphemus(huge).

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need tomato sauce
tomato GIF by Matthew Mann

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever heard of people eating their eggs in vietnam.

I don't think you actually eat their meat.

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can eat them. Be aware they really aren't crabs but more related to arthropods. Think scorpion not crab.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well their blood is high in copper which is why it is blue. the amount of meat you would get from them is basically like a clam size. There is a lab in Delaware that milks them for their blood, tags them and tosses them back in the water to limit how many times they can be milked. They use the blood to make Limulus Amebocyte Lysate for bacterial endotoxin testing. Basically anything that goes inside you needs to be tested to ensure the batch was effectively sterilized.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can eat them. Be aware they really aren't crabs but more related to arthropods. Think scorpion not crab.
yeah, that's why I was originally thinking of deep frying like how my mum does scorpions. Might be too thick to do that though.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting topic would be.... "should you keep a horseshoe crab in your aquarium with copper sensitive critters"?
The copper in a horseshoe crab is bound in haemocyanin molecules, which would not be released until the protein decomposes or is destroyed. If people can keep lobsters without the copper waste becoming toxic to fish, then I doubt that keeping a horseshoe crab will pose an issue. The biggest deal is it plowing over corals and other inverts and getting stuck in random places.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back