Do horseshoe crabs taste good?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't eat that thing with your mouth and the other guy chewing. Doesn't even look the least bit appealing. Maybe if there was a solid meat(like a crab or lobster) rather than mush and eggs

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't eat that thing with your mouth and the other guy chewing. Doesn't even look the least bit appealing. Maybe if there was a solid meat(like a crab or lobster) rather than mush and eggs
eggs are the best part of a crab or lobster :]
unless you're allergic that is, that stuff triggers my crustacean allergy the most.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot comment on the legitimacy of this website. . . but it was like the 3rd result when I searched up the mangrove horseshoe you mentioned. . .

oh btw this is the mangrove horseshoe crab, native to southeast Asia. My go - to crab would probably be a Limulus polyphemus, which is the species native to the U.S and is most commonly in stock.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be entirely honest, I've got no clue what Tabasco sauce is....
It's something you can put on food that taste crappy so it doesn't taste quite so cappy. Of course if you don't like tobasco sauce it still tastes crappy :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: OriginalRed_CGI_Bottle_500x1000.png

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a strict vegetarian but I do find myself occasionally looking longingly at some of macroalgae.free greens!
The slowly spreading green paly's halted the temptation though:face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a strict vegetarian but I do find myself occasionally looking longingly at some of macroalgae.free greens!
The slowly spreading green paly's halted the temptation though:face-with-tears-of-joy:
Palytoxin is no joke! I've had my own chaetos though, tasted like **** because it was matted with filamentous and made it chewy and fibrous. Don't think I'm going to eat more macros any time soon.

Fish con carne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anyone ever tasted horseshoe crabs? I realized that my tank would be open to a lot more giant inverts(true/spiny lobsters, rock crabs, etc) if I am just willing to eat them near their max size. The thing is, I've never heard of anyone eating horseshoes outside of their native range, and I'm not sure if their taste is worth it. I can probably keep a Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda reasonably well for its entire life, but I haven't been able to find any of those in stock. Mostly just Limulus polyphemus(huge).
complete nonsense question. dont block me bro (lol)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these guys hard to care for?? (Not arguing just genuinely curious seems how mine has thrived in my tank!) I did some basic research on them when I first saw mine in the tank. She seems very solid to me, she eats a bunch of frozen food and survived my big tank crash! Really the only thing I came across is they are hard to get to eat frozen food?
It seems to just be the diet/feeding.

Horseshoe crabs are actually aquacultured by a few biomedical companies, and they seem to be basically bulletproof as far as water parameters go (they thrive in conditions that would likely kill half the stuff in our tanks), but they do have a reputation for being impossible to keep the hobby, and it’s speculated to be a nutrition deficiency- from what I’ve seen it’s probably a mix of both too little food (the groups culturing them feed like 5% of the crab’s body weight per day, IIRC, so these things eat a ton) and food that doesn’t meet their nutritional needs.

Edit: It was 3% of the body weight per day.

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely give it a go as a snack, I have eaten majority of dirty sea dwelling criminals, prawns, lobster, octopus, squid, mussels the list is Endless as I assume majority of world has tried. I'm just interested in this 'blue blood' is this a fact or just fiction

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just interested in this 'blue blood' is this a fact or just fiction
The blue blood is factual, and their blood - as mentioned - is used to make tests to determine if things like batches of vaccines are clean or contaminated (contaminated vaccines could be lethal, so it’s pretty important to have).

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely give it a go as a snack, I have eaten majority of dirty sea dwelling criminals, prawns, lobster, octopus, squid, mussels the list is Endless as I assume majority of world has tried. I'm just interested in this 'blue blood' is this a fact or just fiction
the blue blood is indeed used for medicinal purposes(detecting bacterial toxins)... and is one of the reasons they are being overfished, although people do seem practice trying to keep them alive after a blood drain. Their larvae are planktonic, and as far as I know they are not easy to breed.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to just be the diet/feeding.

Horseshoe crabs are actually aquacultured by a few biomedical companies, and they seem to be basically bulletproof as far as water parameters go (they thrive in conditions that would likely kill half the stuff in our tanks), but they do have a reputation for being impossible to keep the hobby, and it’s speculated to be a nutrition deficiency- from what I’ve seen it’s probably a mix of both too little food (the groups culturing them feed like 5% of the crab’s body weight per day, IIRC, so these things eat a ton) and food that doesn’t meet their nutritional needs.
Ah. I like my crab a lot! I dont feed her anything specific, she eats left overs! Should I feed her certain stuff?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand I ate other person's pet:
Cuy.jpg
I don’t , won’t eat anything that lives and eats out of sewers . Human poop is on the menu down there not to mention the chemicals and other crud . Noooo! Way !! Not a chance !! And if you have to put hot sauce on it then it doesn’t taste good to start . That goes for steak , chicken , pretty much anything . I don’t drink corona beer cuz they serve it with a slice of lime mostly because it needs it . That lady eating the horse shoe crab had to cover it with a sauce and crushed nuts and a ton of seasoning and she still wasn’t smiling when she ate it .it was like she kept having to remember to give a thumbs up because she wasn’t really enjoying it . If you can’t eat crab , squid , fish without butter or lemon or a sauce then you really don’t like the taste And probably would be happier eating just the condiments . I had someone in my family I took out to dinner years back who took ketchup and spread it all over a ribeye steak at a fairly expensive restaurant that prided itself on their bone in ribeye , boy was I shocked :astonished-face: . I wasted money. I could have just taken them out for fast food burgers 20 times for what that dinner cost. And they could have got a toy and have been happier . Sorry for the rant I get how in some poor countries they have to eat some things that I wouldn’t but when you take something that doesn’t taste good and mix it up with all kinds of stuff to make it somewhat palatable I don’t get it . Kinda like chocolate covered bugs ...... why ? Just give me a chocolate bar lol !!:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back