Do horseshoe crabs taste good?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cannot comment on the legitimacy of this website. . . but it was like the 3rd result when I searched up the mangrove horseshoe you mentioned. . .

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they are delicious, I would never eat my pet.
On the other hand I ate other person's pet:
Cuy.jpg

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was fun talking about how edible they are,

...but I'm going to be the party pooper to point out I doubt you could keep one alive very long to begin with if size is the concern lol...

They're usually deemed as impossible in the long term, or even short term. Their requirements are pretty specialized and ironically national aquarium is the one that makes it sound easy but even they point out its not likely to keep them in standard tanks, even they have to bend the margin a bit to house other things with them.

I see no point spending $15-$30 dollars on an animal best left in the wild just for the sake of starving it then eating it after (especially when eating it isn't worth it, but you could harbor a lot of pathogens from your aquarium into the food, you wouldn't make a soup with toxic chemicals and pick out the chicken to microwave later, or dip a potato in kalkwasser, rinse it, then bake it.)

There's a lot of unknowns to whether its even safe to eat aquatic pets, the only assuring thing is its also unknown if its safe to eat wild ones but considering how we tamper with the national processes that happen in aquariums, and potentially house the animals with creatures we know aren't safe to get in our system, it does increase the risk far more.

Thinking about a lobster in the wild vs. a lobster in the aquarium; you're looking at a lobster that forages on other fish and scavenges, vs. one that does that + gets dosed with chemicals that the label says "don't eat" + gets put in isolated boxes next to clownfish, palythoa, cucumbers, and company, the steam alone could turn something into a very potentially dangerous vapor.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

...but I'm going to be the party pooper to point out I doubt you could keep one alive very long to begin with if size is the concern lol...

They're usually deemed as impossible in the long term, or even short term. Their requirements are pretty specialized and ironically national aquarium is the one that makes it sound easy but even they point out its not likely to keep them in standard tanks, even they have to bend the margin a bit to house other things with them.

I see no point spending $15-$30 dollars on an animal best left in the wild just for the sake of starving it then eating it after (especially when eating it isn't worth it, but you could harbor a lot of pathogens from your aquarium into the food, you wouldn't make a soup with toxic chemicals and pick out the chicken to microwave later, or dip a potato in kalkwasser, rinse it, then bake it.)

There's a lot of unknowns to whether its even safe to eat aquatic pets, the only assuring thing is its also unknown if its safe to eat wild ones but considering how we tamper with the national processes that happen in aquariums, and potentially house the animals with creatures we know aren't safe to get in our system, it does increase the risk far more.

Thinking about a lobster in the wild vs. a lobster in the aquarium; you're looking at a lobster that forages on other fish and scavenges, vs. one that does that + gets dosed with chemicals that the label says "don't eat" + gets put in isolated boxes next to clownfish, palythoa, cucumbers, and company, the steam alone could turn something into a very potentially dangerous vapor.
How are these guys hard to care for?? (Not arguing just genuinely curious seems how mine has thrived in my tank!) I did some basic research on them when I first saw mine in the tank. She seems very solid to me, she eats a bunch of frozen food and survived my big tank crash! Really the only thing I came across is they are hard to get to eat frozen food?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Strange. I haven't heard any reports of them having trouble surviving long term, or even being hard to care for. The biggest issue seems to be their size and clumsiness, and their care looks to be similar to benthic, sand - sifting crustaceans, albeit preferring slightly lower temperatures and salinity. It may need a more mature tank to properly feed but this is one sandsifter that I would probably feel safe to just straight up feed.

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anyone ever tasted horseshoe crabs? I realized that my tank would be open to a lot more giant inverts(true/spiny lobsters, rock crabs, etc) if I am just willing to eat them near their max size. The thing is, I've never heard of anyone eating horseshoes outside of their native range, and I'm not sure if their taste is worth it. I can probably keep a Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda reasonably well for its entire life, but I haven't been able to find any of those in stock. Mostly just Limulus polyphemus(huge).
When I was in Thailand over the summer horseshoe crab was sold only on one island (Koh Lipe) and I was so close to trying it but I couldn’t bring myself to try it. I’d say look up recipes from Southeast Asia and see what you can come up with!

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in Thailand over the summer horseshoe crab was sold only on one island (Koh Lipe) and I was so close to trying it but I couldn’t bring myself to try it. I’d say look up recipes from Southeast Asia and see what you can come up with!

they literally come in their own bowls! arthropods can't be more convenient to eat.

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they literally come in their own bowls! arthropods can't be more convenient to eat.

IMG_4047.jpeg
Heres how they were sitting at the market on the island they had all sorts of strange seafood over there! I had never heard of people eating them before so I had to snap a picture!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back