Do I dip new corals???

Nikkykins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g reef tank. I have zoas, plays, duncans, shrooms, galaxia & wellso that are all doing great! I ordered a few frags that are being shipped overnight. Any corals that I have purchased have been from the LFS. I just drip acclimate them. I want to know if because I am getting these shipped and not really sure of the tank/water quality they are coming from if I should dip them before putting them in my tank. Just trying to stop any problems before putting the frags in a very healthy tank.
Thanks

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for starters I would dip everything regardless of where it comes from. Some of the online retailers are great about pest free corals and others are not. WWC would be one of the best places to buy from without worrying about pests. I've purchased many things from them and never had a problem. Other places like LiveAquaria ususally always have a pest or two on them so I always dip corals from them. Please don't let this discourage you from buying from them as I buy from them often. As long as you do a good dip and a good visual inspection you shouldn't have a problem.

You also said you drip acclimate corals. You are welcome to do this but it really isn't necessary. A good 15-20 minute float is really all they need.

OP
OP
Nikkykins

Nikkykins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for starters I would dip everything regardless of where it comes from. Some of the online retailers are great about pest free corals and others are not. WWC would be one of the best places to buy from without worrying about pests. I've purchased many things from them and never had a problem. Other places like LiveAquaria ususally always have a pest or two on them so I always dip corals from them. Please don't let this discourage you from buying from them as I buy from them often. As long as you do a good dip and a good visual inspection you shouldn't have a problem.

You also said you drip acclimate corals. You are welcome to do this but it really isn't necessary. A good 15-20 minute float is really all they need.
Thanks! What is the best dip, or which brand do you recommend?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral RX dip.
Follow the instructions to a tee.
When you dip have a another bucket ready to rinse the corals with fresh display water before you place them in the reef so that all the dip is out of the coral polyps.

OP
OP
Nikkykins

Nikkykins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral RX dip.
Follow the instructions to a tee.
When you dip have a another bucket ready to rinse the corals with fresh display water before you place them in the reef so that all the dip is out of the coral polyps.
Thanks for the info!!

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appologies for the delay, I use coral rx as well but many reefers prefer bayer. Both are great dips to use.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appologies for the delay, I use coral rx as well but many reefers prefer bayer. Both are great dips to use.
Yes, Your right. A lot of reefer's prefer the bayer dip.
Great point!!!!!!

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the mixing ratio for the Bayer or where to buy? thanks.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the mixing ratio for the Bayer or where to buy? thanks.

Mix 10 ml of Bayer to 4 ozs of premixed saltwater (or just get some from you DT) dip for 15 mins and rinse well, at least twice IMO. Bayer can found at most any Lowes, Home Depot and most local hardware stores.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot no longer carries Bayer Complete Insecticide. Loves however does. You can also mix the Bayer much stronger than stated above, if you are so inclined it will not damage any coral at any strength although I have never tested it straight. Also with whatever dip you are using it is important to agitate the coral. Small power head, blasting it with a turkey baster swishing it around aggressively. Not all pests are killed by all dips, but almost all are at least stunned and the agitation knocks the pest off of the coral.

As said above dip everything no matter where it comes from. Do not be lazy about this. Go read about people losing their entire tanks because they didn't dip. I've been there and done that, so learn from other peoples mistakes and experiences.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back