Do I NEED a controller?!

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the question is simple.... do I need a controller???

I'm just starting a new system (AGAIN) and currently accumulating the needed equipment. I just don't know if a controller is on that list. The grand total of all my equipment which will be high end but used quality equipment will cost the same amount as a new apex controller.

Coming from the guy who's never had a controller ask the people who do own one....

1. how does your apex make your life simpler?
2. What are the main reasons you bought an apex?
3.Is the cost worth the function?

Any input would be appreciated

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an Apex but I do have a reef keeper lite from BRS. I use it to control the heater, return pump, power heads and skimmer. Nothing fancy, just keeps temp steady without relying on the heater thermostat and it turns off the pump and skimmer for feed mode. It also alternates the powerheads. I think it's well worth the cost for the convenience added.

OP
OP
d_adler

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an Apex but I do have a reef keeper lite from BRS. I use it to control the heater, return pump, power heads and skimmer. Nothing fancy, just keeps temp steady without relying on the heater thermostat and it turns off the pump and skimmer for feed mode. It also alternates the powerheads. I think it's well worth the cost for the convenience added.

I agree but when you have controllable pumps, controllable lights, controllable dosers. Is $700+ worth controlling a heater?

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the rest of your gear, maybe not. But I don't have fancy controllable return pumps or powerheads and I got the reef keeper as a Thanksgiving door buster for about $100 so it's well worth it to me.

In general I don't like the idea of one controller doing everything. It doesn't control my lights. If I had powerheads or pumps with controllers I would use them instead. I think just the extra safety factor of not relying on the heater thermostat is worth the $100 for the reef keeper though. Heaters are notoriously unreliable.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no.

People have been keeping gorgeous tanks for many many years without an "aquarium controller."

Keep in mind that heaters, lights, pumps, dosers, etc. All have some form of localised controller.

To me, the layer of redundancy from an actual full controller coupled with the visual and consistent baseline for all equipment operate on is reassuring.

I can't imagine trying to have my 2 part peristaltic pumps, trace element pumps, heaters, lights, skimmers, feed cycles, skimmer, power heads, etc. running on light timers or dj strips.

I'm all about convenience to add time enjoying my tank.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had a heater failure and power failure while on vacation has sold me on my apex investment not withstanding the ability to program failsafes to ensure that when other devices fail as they will I can limit damage and be informed of the failure . We have a small fortune invested in livestock. Any device which can help insure against livestock loss is a good insurance policy. Furthermore as keepers of these exotic animals many of which have been removed from their natural environment I believe we have the Responsibility to help ensure their survival. Can this be obtained without the technology? Absolutely. However the technology greatly increases success imo. Besides it gives us another toy to play with

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A controller can save you money on more thanaquarium related problems. We had a wooden floor installed in our living room. I decided to get a leak detector and hook it to my Archon. I placed the leak detector under my AC in case of a leak. On Tuesday last week I got a email from my Archon. Contents listed below.

2017/06/13 11:41:04, id:18 - Leak AC.
Your alarm has triggered!
Custom body entered

This is not the only leak detector hooked up to it but it is the only non aquarium sensor at the moment. If left uncheck the water would have ended up under the wooden floor. The drain line on the AC has split at a fitting causing a leak. So the Archon save the floor. I got my money worth in just this one incident alone. This is not the only time that I have been alerted to an issue by the controller. If you are away for any amount of time the ability to get email when something is out of bounds or just to check in on the controller is invaluable to me.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a nice tank without a controller. However they make life convenient,when it comes to water changes. Setting up light schedule's etc. Also when you think about it, when you have your tank fully setup and stocked. Do you really want to risk losing everything in it to a bad heater. I've had my controller setup for six months. Just a few weeks ago I had a heater fail. The controller alerted me to the problem before I lost everything. So the question is can you afford not to have a controller?

Back