Do I need a protein skimmer?

Nathan2585

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval 305 filtration system and was wondering do I need to add a protein skimmer to my tank setup? I plan on having a decent amount of coral and fish. Tank size is 55 gallon.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

Its not a necessity to have a skimmer to keep corals. Its all about the right design and approach to nutrient removal. The skimmer can play a big part of that if its how the design is going to work. There are plenty of successful tanks with or without a skimmer.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It would be hard for you to keep water quality without one.
Unless you ran a large Algae Turf Scrubber or one big Fuge full of Macro Algae. but until that equipment is installed and matured, you need to run one that is twice your water volume.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It would be hard for you to keep water quality without one.
Unless you ran a large Algae Turf Scrubber or one big Fuge full of Macro Algae. but until that equipment is installed and matured, you need to run one that is twice your water volume.

Why? I don't have any of that stuff and my nutrient export is crazy.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fluval 305 is your bio logical filter. As you add Live rock to your system more of the bio filtering will be taken over by the rocks as the bacteria is closer to the source of the ammonia fish waste. The skimmer helps in the export of the material that causes the ammonia and nitrates to build up in your water. So you need and export system on your tank you can choose a skimmer to help do this for you. Along with regular water changes using saltwater made with RO/DI water. An some people at a plant based system to export phosphates. But you will need to do this external of the aquarium. There are hang on algae systems but they maybe too small to handle the load of animals in your aquarium. Most hobbyist in up going with a sump on their tank to give them more room for the filtering of the water and to make the tank equipment easier to maintain. I have always used Skimmers on my tanks. I started using them 30 years ago and they have always performed well on my tanks.

backpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is not needed. But it does two good things. Keeps oxygen in the water. Exports nutrients. Basically you have to be vigilant In your water change schedule. You may look at Julian springs peninsula tank to see what's possible skimmer less.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that ive ever gone with out one but some corals like "Dirty water". I actually notice my Zoas open up wider and my toadstool has more polyp extension when my Skimmer cup it full and I neglect to clean it, so its not skiming but still oxygenating the water.

JimmyZ19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian Sprung doesn't have one on his tank that recently went on Tank Wars. That being said, he runs GFO, UV and a very efficient fuge with a mangrove. He has also mastered husbandry which most aquarists eventually neglect. I'd say if you do regular water changes, don't increase your bio load, feed sparingly and test frequently then you could. Skimmers to me are the heart beat of my filtration though.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I don't have any of that stuff and my nutrient export is crazy.
How much of a water change do you do every week? OP says he wants to keep a decent amount of corals and fish. I see a need for one, unless he plans on spending a small fortune in salt to keep the tank clean.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to watch out with them fluvals. They are great at trapping detritus but if you don't clean them often they will become a Nitrate factory. I used to have one in my discus tank and every time i cleaned it, it came out disgusting.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont need a skimmer but be prepared to change 15g of water a week.
a decent skimmer is well worth the cost and helps tremendously

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a water change do you do every week? OP says he wants to keep a decent amount of corals and fish. I see a need for one, unless he plans on spending a small fortune in salt to keep the tank clean.

I do a small change about 10% every 2 weeks. I did go over 4 months without changing water and had 0-1ppm nitrate. The only reason I change water is for the trace elements. I also have over 120 different corals and 3 fish in a 29. I feed the fish 2-4 times a day and the corals twice a night. My last nitrate test was 0.5 ppm. No skimmer, no sump, no hang on fuge. Just a deep sand bed and good live rock.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403795155651.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403795155651.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,290
Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The question is why would you not want to run one. There are far to many benefits to one.. Unless it is a very small tank why wouldn't you, it does not make sense.. It really dont. So easy to maintain too...

Mhumbach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is, How many fish are you going to keep? What type of corals are you going to keep? What kind of nutrient exports will you have? Also how lazy are you, will you keep up on water changes and maintenance?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is why would you not want to run one. There are far to many benefits to one.. Unless it is a very small tank why wouldn't you, it does not make sense.. It really dont. So easy to maintain too...

Can you list all the benefits that nothing else but a skimmer will produce?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is, How many fish are you going to keep? What type of corals are you going to keep? What kind of nutrient exports will you have? Also how lazy are you, will you keep up on water changes and maintenance?

Very good post!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you list all the benefits that nothing else but a skimmer will produce?

Thats not the point.. Its a easy to maintain piece of equipment that is not too expensive for the amount of benefits it gives and piece of mind and saving your back. Nothing gives me the piece of mind like my skimmer does when I am gone for several days. Not a water change because guess what it cant be done when I am away from home. Something dies you are not home their goes a nutrient spike and possible depletion of oxygen and their goes a possible spiral into a crash.. Again how do you get oxygen saturation without a skimmer if something goes wrong? Hmmm....

I have been in this hobby a very long time. Do you need a skimmer: No, but let me tell you this those that argued you dont need them that stay in the hobby eventually get one...

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adequate gas exchange is easily accomplished with surface movement on the water. I wish you could see the snail graveyard in my 29 from all the snails my pistol shrimp has killed. If I lose a fish I will see no noticeable difference in my tank with no skimmer. I have been in the hobby for a little bit as well, I didn't just set a tank up 3 months ago and offering my opinion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back