Do I need a QT for my first 2 fish?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost done cycling my tank and currently have no inhabitants.

What are the dangers of no QT tank at , or is it safe to just go right into the DT?

I feel like I shouldn't have to go through the process of setting up a new one when I don't even have my main tank fully running yet.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Example. I have a 30g qt tank going with many fish. It has 2.5 months to go. Brand new tank coming anyway day now. By the time the new display is cycled setup and ready. Some of my qt animals can slowly be brought over

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat soon, and well trying to explain all this to the wife with an absolute blank look or the disgusted look of having another tank setup. Yes I know I will need to do something should I have an outbreak but will deal with it when it comes according.

As for QT fish people run the risk, luck my LFS does the whole QT process for me it cost me a little extra not much really in hind sight considering what it cost for setup of a tank and copper ect...

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt
great question.
If you’r new fish gets sick you can treat them however getting the treatment out of the tank can take many months. If you’re looking only to keep fish it’s not a problem but corals and invertabes adding meds can be deadly to them.
John

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt
great question.
If you’r new fish gets sick you can treat them however getting the treatment out of the tank can take many months. If you’re looking only to keep fish it’s not a problem but corals and invertabes adding meds can be deadly to them.
John
I am only planning on 2 clowns and 6 ish months from now I will start to add BTA's

I just wasn't sure if I really needed to try to get another tank cycled to hold the fish while I'm finishing the cycle in my main tank.

I'm trying to figure out where to get my fish from right now. My lfs can get what I need and I never had any issues with anything from them before...

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put any meds at all in my main tank however clowns are not inch magnets and usually very hearty and resistant to sickness. You could set something up for a qt tank if a problem starts however some diseases can linger in the tank long after the fish have been removed. In other words if you get a problem in main tank you may have a long wait to restock.
good luck with your efforts
John

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is if the fish ends up having one of the common parasites, it will introduce it to your display tank where it will now (potentially) be forever (unless you do a fallow period down the line)... Doing so is an 'insurance policy', even if the fish appear to be perfectly healthy at introduction...

You can setup a simple 10g QT tank for 60-70$, and can be guaranteed it will come in handy again on several occasions down the line

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt my first 2 fish while the dt was cycling. Took 3 months to cycle. In the mean time the clowns where fine and o needed to he qt for my illness.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is if the fish ends up having one of the common parasites, it will introduce it to your display tank where it will now (potentially) be forever (unless you do a fallow period down the line)... Doing so is an 'insurance policy', even if the fish appear to be perfectly healthy at introduction...

You can setup a simple 10g QT tank for 60-70$, and can be guaranteed it will come in handy again on several occasions down the line
I have a 20g and big canister filter I can setup, but I'm not sure how to make sure the QT tank is cycled right.

I do have some extra dry rock I can stack in the DT while it's finishing the cycle. Would that be enough to "seed" those rocks and then when I do my big WC at the end just pump that into the QT?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g and big canister filter I can setup, but I'm not sure how to make sure the QT tank is cycled right.

I do have some extra dry rock I can stack in the DT while it's finishing the cycle. Would that be enough to "seed" those rocks and then when I do my big WC at the end just pump that into the QT?
Honestly, I dont pre-cycle my QT. I use a 10g with a sponge filter and soak the filter in some cycling bacteria. I vac out the food they dont eat after an hour or so to keep the tank clean and replace 1-2 gal a day. Using an ammonia alert, ive never had an ammonia spike, but could have some detoxifier on hand if there was an issue.

I understand that's only easy if you have a large saltwater reservoir to use for water changes

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk if id use the canister filter either, if so you'll want to be selective with whatever media it has in it. You wont want carbon because it will filter out the medication, and you wouldn't want biomedia that isn't already cycled because it'll likely buildup NH4/No3 until it cycles...

I like a cheap sponge filter because it also aerates the water which is extremely important. If you go with the canister, make sure the water is breaking the surface

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread...Is there anything wrong with letting DT finish cycling, doing a water change to the DT and reusing the water for the QT?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I dont pre-cycle my QT. I use a 10g with a sponge filter and soak the filter in some cycling bacteria. I vac out the food they dont eat after an hour or so to keep the tank clean and replace 1-2 gal a day. Using an ammonia alert, ive never had an ammonia spike, but could have some detoxifier on hand if there was an issue.

I understand that's only easy if you have a large saltwater reservoir to use for water changes
I don't, I'm buying my sw from my lfs, but I can do the sponge thing np.
idk if id use the canister filter either, if so you'll want to be selective with whatever media it has in it. You wont want carbon because it will filter out the medication, and you wouldn't want biomedia that isn't already cycled because it'll likely buildup NH4/No3 until it cycles...

I like a cheap sponge filter because it also aerates the water which is extremely important. If you go with the canister, make sure the water is breaking the surface
I have the filter media stuff and sponges. Should I bag em and put them in my dt till after the cycle? Then I can just put them in the canister with fresh saltwater and be cycled?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never precycle my qt for fish. I keep Prime on hand. It is a good friend. Now, depending on fish, I will qt differently with different things, sand, live rock, pvc, etc. Seachem badges are a must.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back