Do i need to feed my shrimp and hermit crabs?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So I need to feed my 5 Mexican grazing snails? Are diatoms not enough? Also how about my urchin And conch?
Hi Buddy. How would you like to have only one food item to eat your whole life lol. I think snails will also like some fresh seaweed in their diet. I don't think diatoms are all that nutritious.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Buddy. How would you like to have only one food item to eat your whole life lol. I think snails will also like some fresh seaweed in their diet. I don't think diatoms are all that nutritious.
Sounds good. I don't like to associate what and how I eat to animals as animals require different diets. This is why I'm here, out of concern of my animals. I'd like to make them as happy as possible. I'm glad I did ask though because no one really told me otherwise but I had a sneaking suspicion.

Going to the shop today to get some sinking pellets and nori/algae wafers

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I don't like to associate what and how I eat to animals as animals require different diets. This is why I'm here, out of concern of my animals. I'd like to make them as happy as possible. I'm glad I did ask though because no one really told me otherwise but I had a sneaking suspicion.

Going to the shop today to get some sinking pellets and nori/algae wafers
I know you want the best for your animals and are aware that you are responsible for their feeding. I am also glad you didn't take my post in a bad way. Sometimes I try to be silly or making a joke and it goes wrong. I hate it when I do that.

But by all means ask all the questions you have on your mind, none are silly or dumb it is how we all learn.

Take care Buddy
Tony

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add feeding stations as suggested or even a clip for seaweed, if your aquarium to deep to reach bottom you can attach to piece of fishing line, let clip sink and retract the next day :)

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you want the best for your animals and are aware that you are responsible for their feeding. I am also glad you didn't take my post in a bad way. Sometimes I try to be silly or making a joke and it goes wrong. I hate it when I do that.

But by all means ask all the questions you have on your mind, none are silly or dumb it is how we all learn.

Take care Buddy
Tony
Yeah I wouldn't take it bad. I try to read everything light heartedly. I know it's hard to get a tone across through message. I use that type analogy with my neighbors a lot. They lock up their 100 pound dog in a small crate even when they are home and say that's like being locked in a bathroom with no media to keep you occupied. I try my best to provide the best. Sometimes I worry too much lol

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How do you suggest I feed the shrimp? Course they don't get as much as the fish and with a 90 gallon tank it's a little too deep for me to reach down there. Should I just feed a little extra so the fish can't get all of it? If shrimp are clean up crew then why do I have to feed them? I am new so this is just a question not a rant. I'm genuinely curious what their purpose is as clean up crew
As a clean up crew the shrimp will eat detritus (poop) but even more so they will eat the left overs when you feed.
If you are not feeding anything but flakes you might start feeding some frozen mysis or spirulina enriched brine shrimp which will be good for tangs and other omnivores. Generally some of that will reach the bottom and feed your shrimp. This will allow you to feed a little extra, but don’t go overboard.

mercedes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a bit of CUC to clean my tank of diatoms.

Do hermits and shrimp eat that? I was told they do but I haven't seen them actually eat any of it. My Mexican grazing snails, conch, and urchin are doing almost all the work.

When I feed Flakes I feed just for my fish but when I feed Flakes the shrimp and hermits go INSANE. They don't hide prior. Just roam around and sway in the water. But when I feed the fish they are literally in the water colum chasing after Flakes. Should I target feed them too? I feel I'm starving them.

90 gallons. Tons of rock and diatoms.
2 clowns
1 blue sapphire damselfish
1 neon blue goby

10 hermit crabs
5 Mexican grazing snails
4 cleaner shrimp
2 strawberry conch
1 blue tuxedo urchin

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back