Do I need to use a sponge filter?

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently using an Aqueon internal filter 3 for my 2.5 G reef and the carbon filter pad it comes with and I normally use works really well to keep the water clear. I also put in a sponge in the back behind the carbon filter pad for extra filtration but I’m wondering if I should just take it out

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have not run this type, but was not sure if there was a filter pad that goes in before the carbon pad or is that the sponge u mentioned ? Usually there is some sort of mechanical filtering before running thru the carbon pad.

Ps, if it is working well, don’t see a need to change. Can’t hurt and probably cheaper to replace the sponge than carbon. ;Happy

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im currently using an Aqueon internal filter 3 for my 2.5 G reef and the carbon filter pad it comes with and I normally use works really well to keep the water clear. I also put in a sponge in the back behind the carbon filter pad for extra filtration but I’m wondering if I should just take it out

If I understand your question you are asking about the sponge in your filter rather than a sponge filter.

The sponge in the filter is typically for both mechanical and biological filtration, whereas the carbon is providing chemical filtration. If you remove the sponge do you have an alternate plan for mechanical filtration? For example if you have live rock and live sand that may be enough in your 2.5g then that may be enough to handle the biological filtration. From a mechanical filtration perspective, do you have another way (other than water changes) to remove uneaten food and waste? If not, then you would likely need to increase your water changes. Having said all of that, I would leave your sponge in the filter unless there is a significant reason to remove it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back