Do juvenile tangs grow "scalpels"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fragit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
2,509
Reaction score
1,869
Location
Freeport
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvenile Kole Tang, that I'm pretty sure did not yet have its scalpels. You know the defensive bony growths on both lateral aspects of the tail just before the tail fin. Any way I noticed yesterday that he has these two bony areas that seem to be erupting on either side right where those are supposed to be. The fish is very healthy not known parasites and eats like a pig. I fact that is her name Miss Piggy. So my question is do all surgeon have these "scalpels", and do they develop with age. Thanks for your input.
 
I have a juvenile Kole Tang, that I'm pretty sure did not yet have its scalpels. You know the defensive bony growths on both lateral aspects of the tail just before the tail fin. Any way I noticed yesterday that he has these two bony areas that seem to be erupting on either side right where those are supposed to be. The fish is very healthy not known parasites and eats like a pig. I fact that is her name Miss Piggy. So my question is do all surgeon have these "scalpels", and do they develop with age. Thanks for your input.
They have spines but bristleooth tangs have smaller scalpels to begin with. But they have them already.
 
They have spines but bristleooth tangs have smaller scalpels to begin with. But they have them already.

Thanks for the reply @4FordFamily. They seem to have grown dramatically over the last 4 days. And they do look like little spines.
 
They are born with them. Some species can retract them to a degree.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new