jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that small most pumps will do, but something variable speed is always nice to get different flow patterns.
Exactly, that is why I like the "else" setting. It says it is random, but my wife swears it plays a song...

My corals always loved it. My Nems love it now.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a first reef, I also recommend a AIO (All In one) type system. There are some nice ones and some super expensive ones. If it is out of reach, instead of the classic HOB filter use one that incorporates a protein skimmer and add rock rubble into the chamber for extra filtration and pod (little bugs we like on the reef) to grow.
This is how I will handle my picos. Yes, I am one of those crazies. :)

Powerheads are a very dizzying subject. Once you are set on the tank, I can help as I also have a 40g, 20g, 10g with different powerheads on each. I have tried quite a few, but almost always will recommend Tunze if you can afford it.

Keep researching and asking questions. A really good book to read is the The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner. Good all around book to a successful tank.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of it's the challenge...it's VERY difficult to keep a tank so small when you consider even simple variables like evaporation, keeping salinity stable, etc... anyway, I'm glad you found this forum... plenty of helpful people who are more than happy to help you out. As for the power head, i doubt I'd be very helpful as I'm overseas so my selection is different than yours but you want something to continuously imitate flow (as in the ocean) as best you can. For a small tank like a 20, i wouldn't invest in anything too expensive as you really don't need but so much flow in such a small tank...there are some excellent choices out there I'm sure some members here can point you in the direction of.
I've kept aquariums my whole life and have done very well with my small tanks, so I'm not worried about the size at all. I have restrictions in my current living situation, so a nano tank is all I can do and even if I did not have restrictions, I still would start with a nano for my 1st saltwater, and I like small tanks. Very difficult is an overstatement IMO because I'm not new to keeping aquariums just new to saltwater....

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All-In-One, ie: tanks that have a built-in sump either in the rear or on the side where the filtration, pump (etc.) goes.

Typically you want to run one (or more) on the sides, angling up to the surface to ensure you get water agitation on the surface.
But more than one in a 20 gallon seems like a lot so one would do for me correct?

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger HOB. I like to mount the HOB on the side for longer tanks. You can fit an Aquaclear 70 on the side of a 20L. Though would do a 110 if you HAD to mount it on the back panel. . .

That said I like Seachem Tidal filters better, think you can fit their 110 on the side.

Yes mounting this way will look ugly. . . but meh
Wait why such a big filter on such a small tank?

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a first reef, I also recommend a AIO (All In one) type system. There are some nice ones and some super expensive ones. If it is out of reach, instead of the classic HOB filter use one that incorporates a protein skimmer and add rock rubble into the chamber for extra filtration and pod (little bugs we like on the reef) to grow.
This is how I will handle my picos. Yes, I am one of those crazies. :)

Powerheads are a very dizzying subject. Once you are set on the tank, I can help as I also have a 40g, 20g, 10g with different powerheads on each. I have tried quite a few, but almost always will recommend Tunze if you can afford it.

Keep researching and asking questions. A really good book to read is the The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner. Good all around book to a successful tank.
Thanks for the info is there somewhere I can read up on AOI and do sumps like this have a place for water if it overflows? I don't need my carpet swimming lol

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept aquariums my whole life and have done very well with my small tanks, so I'm not worried about the size at all. I have restrictions in my current living situation, so a nano tank is all I can do and even if I did not have restrictions, I still would start with a nano for my 1st saltwater, and I like small tanks. Very difficult is an overstatement IMO because I'm not new to keeping aquariums just new to saltwater....
I've done very well with my nanos too and am quite proud of them actually. I was more referring to Picos which you mentioned with a volume of 5 gallons or less. So yeah, keeping a nano isn't all that difficult, keeping a 1.5 gallon pico is a different story...

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult is an overstatement IMO because I'm not new to keeping aquariums just new to saltwater....
Welcome to the salty hobby ! I’ve been in freshwater 40 years and saltwater (reef in the making) for about 2 years.

They are two completely different worlds, and yes, saltwater is so much more difficult. So much can happen, compared to freshwater.

Having said that, I’m sure you’ll have success. Have fun !

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty hobby ! I’ve been in freshwater 40 years and saltwater (reef in the making) for about 2 years.

They are two completely different worlds, and yes, saltwater is so much more difficult. So much can happen, compared to freshwater.

Having said that, I’m sure you’ll have success. Have fun !
I can only imagine lol. I have the help of the aquarists where I volunteer at as well so I'm hoping with everyone's help on here and their help I can manage to make it through my 1st saltwater experience in one piece. :D

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait why such a big filter on such a small tank?

In my opinion, hang on backs are more appropriately sized for freshwater set ups, when you compare the rated size to more conventional types of filtration i.e. a sump , They are severely lacking. I would say even compared to an all in one style tank hang out back filtration offers less filter capacity.

I would also say the flow generated by hang on back filters seem more appropriate for freshwater set ups. So in my mind bigger is better. I’m running a 55 gallon rated hang on back on a 5 gallon right now ha ha

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, hang on backs are more appropriately sized for freshwater set ups, when you compare the rated size to more conventional types of filtration i.e. a sump , They are severely lacking. I would say even compared to an all in one style tank hang out back filtration offers less filter capacity.

I would also say the flow generated by hang on back filters seem more appropriate for freshwater set ups. So in my mind bigger is better. I’m running a 55 gallon rated hang on back on a 5 gallon right now ha ha
Geez that sounds like a lot! Well, what about a canister filter? Would one of those work, I know people are suggesting the AOI, but I don't like the way they look.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aio is a good idea. We have a couple of waterboxes and are happy with them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To here! Lol when you google best powerheads a lot of stuff comes up‍:eek:, but nothing that is useful. It all seems like one giant ad, and I think this is one of the seldom times that wire cutter is failing me. So setup....
Will be...
This is a next summer tank that I'm doing lots of research on it ahead of time but so far....

20 gallon long with a netted tank top (I've looked at bulk reef supply, but I only really see the one? That doesn't have any corners other than the usual four and I'd like to have one that I could fit to the sides of the tank and just do cut out sections for my equipment, if anyone has suggestions? If not, I'll make do with what they have.)
Aqua clear 30-gallon HOB filter (Again if there are better suggestions, I'm open to them, but I like this one that I have on my freshwater)
Aqua neon Pro 100-watt heater
Aqua neat digital thermometer

But powerheads.... they're confusing (I've only ever done freshwater). I understand somewhat what their purpose is, I guess? Waterflow, movement and cycling the tank water more than what the filter does. Which one? What's best for a nano tank (Ya'll call them Picos? Cute but what does that even mean?:thinking-face:)? Do they go in the front of the tank or the back? The bottom or the top? I have so many questions and maybe I'm not researching right but nothing seems to be helping me so here I am.

Seachem tidal is better than aqua clear. It surface skims.

Lids you could get a custom one made but expensive. The BRS one won’t be ideal for hob stuff. You could probably DIY something to fit around your equipment with egg crate and a finer mesh I suppose.

Power heads is kinda like lighting, there is no really best as everyone will have their own opinion. Getting something controllable is certainly ideal though.

Vortech
Nero
Jeabo
Tunze

Are all popular on nanos.

Placement depends on your rock and will differ in every tank. You want good flow so no dead spots/low flow areas. Sometimes this means more than one powerhead to get the job done. Especially on longer tanks.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aio is a good idea. We have a couple of waterboxes and are happy with them.
But they are sooo ugly....and I like the way a 20 gallon long looks.... like I asked what about a canister filter instead?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they are sooo ugly....and I like the way a 20 gallon long looks.... like I asked what about a canister filter instead?

Do not do a canister. That is worst option. It needs way tooo much attention on a salt tank in most cases and not worth it.

A hob is totally fine and an AIO isn’t better. An AIO just looks cleaner since you can hide the heater in it and not have stuff hanging off.

Hob is totally fine and appropriate!! If that is what you like and in your budget. Go for it!

You don’t even need a filter at all in a salt tank lol people run tanks without them and have tanks in cookie jars.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem tidal is better than aqua clear. It surface skims.

Lids you could get a custom one made but expensive. The BRS one won’t be ideal for hob stuff. You could probably DIY something to fit around your equipment with egg crate and a finer mesh I suppose.

Power heads is kinda like lighting, there is no really best as everyone will have their own opinion. Getting something controllable is certainly ideal though.

Vortech
Nero
Jeabo
Tunze

Are all popular on nanos.

Placement depends on your rock and will differ in every tank. You want good flow so no dead spots/low flow areas. Sometimes this means more than one powerhead to get the job done. Especially on longer tanks.
An AIO answer!! I like it lol, yeah, the lid is confuddling me hard, and I'm used to HOB which is the only reason I've thought about going with one but maybe a canister is the better route? I will look at the tidal for sure...and I saw vortech and nero both come up in my searches, so I guess I'll research them further.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An AIO answer!! I like it lol, yeah, the lid is confuddling me hard, and I'm used to HOB which is the only reason I've thought about going with one but maybe a canister is the better route? I will look at the tidal for sure...and I saw vortech and nero both come up in my searches, so I guess I'll research them further.
Not sure canister is a good way to go...

Back