encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up fellow uker?! What is your favorite new song to play?

I google stuff every day at work, I just know it is NOT research. Totally a useful tool though. Been a scientist for 18 years.
Couldn’t looking things up be researching if you are googling sciencey things such as the taxonomic databases or scientific studies?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t looking things up be researching if you are googling sciencey things such as the taxonomic databases or scientific studies?
Google can obviously be used as a research tool...it just depends on what you're searches are and how you're searching for information. Pretty sure the whole point of Google Scholar is to use it for research...besides, "research" is kinda a vague term in the first place since you can research literally anything ranging from the number of big Macs McDonald's sells a year to evidence supporting multiverse theory... pretty much anything can be used for "research".

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a lid.. you could use one of those plastic attachments they sell for glass lids and cut around it as you would and glue it to the edge of the DIY screen net perhaps? I am trying to think outside the box here.

You could also put egg crate across the back or whole thing with some finer netting attached to keep small fish in. Egg crate comes in white or black. Black typically looks nicer but costs more.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made many with egg crate and the clear mesh, screen framing and clear mesh. Both can be made with insets for the HOB and anthing else that it may need to go around.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a lid.. you could use one of those plastic attachments they sell for glass lids and cut around it as you would and glue it to the edge of the DIY screen net perhaps? I am trying to think outside the box here.

You could also put egg crate across the back or whole thing with some finer netting attached to keep small fish in. Egg crate comes in white or black. Black typically looks nicer but costs more.
Where would I get the plastic for the glass lid? Hardware store?

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made many with egg crate and the clear mesh, screen framing and clear mesh. Both can be made with insets for the HOB and anthing else that it may need to go around.
Can you show me a picture do I know what you're talking about?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show me a picture do I know what you're talking about?

Egg crate

1671209747891.png

Where would I get the plastic for the glass lid? Hardware store?

I mean the replacement pieces companies sell for those glass lids.

What I would probably do though is a normal netting around the front and egg crate along the back cut out to fit your HOB stuff.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate

1671209747891.png

I mean the replacement pieces companies sell for those glass lids.

What I would probably do though is a normal netting around the front and egg crate along the back cut out to fit your HOB stuff.
That's cool! So wait you mean make a edging of egg crate and then glue netting in the middle? Is it hard to cut the eggcrate? How do you cut it and where do you get it, grocery store? Or hardware store?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order online or find at most hardware stores. Usually a white color locally though. I have put mesh on top to keep smaller fish from jumping, I have also cut a nice border and then added mesh. Either way works.

I do not have pics of my screen frame, but will get one later.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool! So wait you mean make a edging of egg crate and then glue netting in the middle? Is it hard to cut the eggcrate? How do you cut it and where do you get it, grocery store? Or hardware store?

hardware store has white... black you need to buy online.

You can just break/cut it with like a pliers or whatever... or saw it. I think I just broke mine.

You could just zip tie some netting to it along the edges. The egg crate spacing is too large for small fish hence the added netting.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order online or find at most hardware stores. Usually a white color locally though. I have put mesh on top to keep smaller fish from jumping, I have also cut a nice border and then added mesh. Either way works.

I do not have pics of my screen frame, but will get one later.
Thank you

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hardware store has white... black you need to buy online.

You can just break/cut it with like a pliers or whatever... or saw it. I think I just broke mine.

You could just zip tie some netting to it along the edges. The egg crate spacing is too large for small fish hence the added netting.
Cool did you add the netting underneath the egg crate? Can I just make it a border and do mesh in the middle? How does the eggcrate affect your lighting?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool did you add the netting underneath the egg crate? Can I just make it a border and do mesh in the middle? How does the eggcrate affect your lighting?

Shouldn’t be enough blocking to matter unless you have weak lights. Most lights are adjustable and not ran on 100 percent of appropriately sized.

You probably could do that. I don’t see why you couldn’t. Egg crate is rigid and won’t sag. It would just be a bit more fragile.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back