DO ROTIFERS EAT CYANO? PART 2

Reef By Steele

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2023
Messages
15,975
Reaction score
3,306
Location
Kearney
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
IMG_9898.jpeg

Back in August I posed this question here on Reef2Reef and we had a great conversation. I have a clown fish pair we have raised from fry in a 20 gallon grow out tank and Cyano had become a problem. In this thread

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/do-rotifers-eat-cyano.1069679/
I discussed cleaning the cyano out with a water change and then added rotifers to see what happened. In that experiment I found that regular addition of rotifers seemed to keep the cyano at bay but didn’t eradicate it entirely. Another community member questioned if the rotifers could clean the tank without already pulling a bunch of cyano out. I have wanted to try this but time has been the enemy. Today I wiped the front of the tank so we can watch and see what happens. I added 1 gallon of our rotifers, sieved and rinsed into the tank without already pulling any of the cyano. Going forward I will document the progression of the tank along with any other rotifers additions to see if rotifers can win the battle on their own, or if they need outside help. Learning and experimenting with our products is exhilarating and fun. I am excited to see what difference they make.

You can visit our website’s knowledge center in the drop down menu located top left for other information we have compiled to assist you and your tank at www.reefbysteele.com
 
IMG_9978.jpeg
I’ll start with the apologies. With Black Friday, our remodel and Christmas prep I never did anything. So after the first addition, I don’t see tons of improvement, but doesn’t look any worse so maybe they are holding it at bay.

Added another gallon of Rotifers after taking this picture and will update Friday or Saturday.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new