Do you clean your Vectra pumps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own one myself yet... but from all that I've read every 6 orso months is the norm for cleaning them with some benefits flow wise. Once again, no personal experience just working off all I've read about them...

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use 2 M1 vectra pumps and clean them every 6 months. I take apart the pump and soak the impeller in a 50/50 vinegar/hot water bath for 3-4 hours. Ive been using them for almost 3 years and they have been running fine.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 M1 vectra pumps and clean them every 6 months. I take apart the pump and soak the impeller in a 50/50 vinegar/hot water bath for 3-4 hours. Ive been using them for almost 3 years and they have been running fine.

I read in this thread that vinegar was a pump killer.

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read in this thread that vinegar was a pump killer.
I have heard the same but have no proof of any damage. I was told to use vinegar by an actual support person from Ecotech. That said, I do use citric acid for my MP40s because I usually soak them overnight and they are completely different from the vectras. They have an enclosed magnet in some thin plastic housing. I could imagine vinegar getting through that cover and causing the magnet to corrode.
I dont think a 50/50 vinegar soak for Vectra pump impellers for a few hours can do any damage.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS did my monthly service visit today and I had him clean the Vectra S1 pump. The crud came right off with a toothbrush and there was no need for a vinegar solution. While he was at it I had him take my Red Sea RSK-300 skimmer totally apart and clean it also. :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I clean my M1 about every six months. I simply bring a bucket of RO water over to my sump, pull the pump and remove the impeller. I brush it clean, rinse and reinstall. I do notice a slight improvement, but not much. Never soak pumps in vinegar, only the pvc or plastic parts. Citric acid is much better long term. Soaking in citric acid for an hour is all you need.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my M1 about every six months. I simply bring a bucket of RO water over to my sump, pull the pump and remove the impeller. I brush it clean, rinse and reinstall. I do notice a slight improvement, but not much. Never soak pumps in vinegar, only the pvc or plastic parts. Citric acid is much better long term. Soaking in citric acid for an hour is all you need.

This is probably a bit late but do you tank the pump apart and soak everything or do you just pop the whole thing in there and let it sit?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is probably a bit late but do you tank the pump apart and soak everything or do you just pop the whole thing in there and let it sit?
I don't soak it in anything, just use a bucket of RO and scrub it clean. If there's any build up on the impeller, then maybe a quick soak in citric acid (higher concentration) for a bit, but I've never had to soak it before. Just taking it apart and scrubbing it is all I've ever had to do. Usually takes me 15 minutes or so.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't soak it in anything, just use a bucket of RO and scrub it clean. If there's any build up on the impeller, then maybe a quick soak in citric acid (higher concentration) for a bit, but I've never had to soak it before. Just taking it apart and scrubbing it is all I've ever had to do. Usually takes me 15 minutes or so.
sweet thanks!

akrite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with minus9. You shouldn't have to soak it if you clean every 6 months unless you have a lot of build up from dosing Cal and Alk. Citric acid all the way.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back