Do you dose your tanks?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
573
Reaction score
527
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people who have LPS and SPS in their tank and dose on a regular basis or have a automatic doser set up. I have tank a mixed reef tank and dose with trace elements on a weekly basis, and use reef crystals salt mix for water changes which is every 2 weeks. It's nothing super fancy or sophisticated but I prefer to manually dose my tank as I have had issues with an automatic doser in the past. I know a lot of people with coral tanks (mainly softies and LPS) that do not dose anything outside of doing regular water changes and everything in there is super happy. Do you dose your tank?
 
Do you dose your tank?
Not completely sure what you mean by dose but I use 2 part with trace elements, kalk, magnesium, fluoride, nickel, and v all on pumps and RS ab+ daily manually.

IMG_1368.jpeg
 
I suppose it boils down to what a tank needs, they're all different and have different needs. I have to dose to maintain alk and calcium because WCs can't keep up with consumption. I also have to dose ammonium in one tank for low nitrate and occasionally dose for low PO4
 
Last edited:
Not completely sure what you mean by dose but I use 2 part with trace elements, kalk, magnesium, fluoride, nickel, and v all on pumps and RS ab+ daily manually.

IMG_1368.jpeg
For dosing I meant it more of a broad spectrum of supplementing any sort of additives to your tanks outside of water changes.
 
For dosing I meant it more of a broad spectrum of supplementing any sort of additives to your tanks outside of water changes.

If you have any significant growing coralline or hard corals, those will likely deplete alk to the point where growth is slowed without dosing.

As to trace elements, I believe the foods add a lot more than do the usual water changes folks use.
 
I have no choice but to dose Alk, CA and MG as water changes are no where close to consumption requirements.

I need to dose very frequently to maintain stability so manual dosing is not a great option for me.

I use a cheap Jebao DP4 for years and this unit has worked (so far) flawlessly.

I do keep a close watch on those three with testing to make sure chemistry is holding firm.
 
I know a lot of people who have LPS and SPS in their tank and dose on a regular basis or have a automatic doser set up. I have tank a mixed reef tank and dose with trace elements on a weekly basis, and use reef crystals salt mix for water changes which is every 2 weeks. It's nothing super fancy or sophisticated but I prefer to manually dose my tank as I have had issues with an automatic doser in the past. I know a lot of people with coral tanks (mainly softies and LPS) that do not dose anything outside of doing regular water changes and everything in there is super happy. Do you dose your tank?
i tried dosing seemed to cause more issues i have a small 87 liter tank but since adding a 200 liter tank now cycled but empty ive invested in a 1000 liter home delivery water service with water which is adapted just for reef specs..dkh 8.5 cal 420 etc...i now do a 5 to 10 liter water change once a week ..only dose is calcium 1 ml every 3 days ..tanks better more stable ..i do dose no pox 2 ml a day with no dose on water change days ..so much easier .. 200 dollars for 1000 liters ..no chugging water from fish store ..for the new tank corals are months away so i guess similar....ive learned the less i fiddle the better it is ...stability is way more important than exact numbers ..im glad i finalley learned this lesson
 
I know a lot of people who have LPS and SPS in their tank and dose on a regular basis or have an automatic doser set up. I have tank a mixed reef tank and dose with trace elements on a weekly basis, and use reef crystals salt mix for water changes which is every 2 weeks. It's nothing super fancy or sophisticated but I prefer to manually dose my tank as I have had issues with an automatic doser in the past. I know a lot of people with coral tanks (mainly softies and LPS) that do not dose anything outside of doing regular water changes and everything in there is super happy. Do you dose your tank?
I’m curious what are you using for trace elements?
 
I dose 2 part in several systems, carx & Kalk in another. Kalk only in my 112.
For trace elements I have been for 8 years now dosing DSR ez-trace at 2.5ml per gallon of ato water.

I have been dosing CRT at 1 gram every other day for the corals for over 6 months now.

The 150 gets 5ml of Vodka a day to control no3 to around 5.

WC's are done monthly at 5%.
 
Soda Ash, Seachem Reef Trace, Seachem Reef Plus, Seachem Fusion 1.

All I've ever needed. No water changes in six years besides when I put the new tank up recently.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new