Poll: Do you even ZOA? Well do you?

Rate your love for zoas!

• I'm a zoa head! I love them!

Votes: 128 20.0%
  • I like them in my tank.

Votes: 268 41.8%
  • If I find the right one I'll add it to my reef.

Votes: 149 23.2%
  • No zoas for me!

Votes: 81 12.6%
  • I'll nuke them out of my tank no matter what morph it is.

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember when the zoa craze of 2004 hit and the world was changed forever! Well the aquarium world that is! Since that time many many different morphs have entered the trade and with it the prices increased! Old popular morphs lost value and excitement and new morphs broke record pricing.

That being said has the zoa machine slowed? Is it still as popular as it once was or am I the one who lost my zeal for those little beautiful animal buttons?

A few old school I don't see anymore...

creamsicle
creams.jpg

Ruby Red
rubyred.jpg

Cat Eye (looks kinda plain but that yellow/green mouth popped)
catseyes.jpg

Armageddon (not the fake ones)
armeggedon.jpg

pink2.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the wide variety of colors you can get with zoanthids. I've got two gardens in my tank that I made. One is a fist size rock with eagle eye zoas and radioactive dragon eye zoas that started off as one polyp each and now the entire rock is covered. Currently working on another rock consisting of pink panther zoas and midnight blue zoas :)
20180424_130044.jpg
20180424_130048.jpg

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was infatuated with them when I started this tank 4 months ago. Then I battled a Nudi issue even after dipping multiple times, and now I can't get mine to open too often haha.
So for me, I will not be adding any more in the near future. Maybe if I learn the secret or build up enough nutrients that will change :)

Good topic!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still like them. Focusing more on sps these days.

I had a variety called Daytrippers. Got them in 2007 or so. Cool looking morph. Haven't seen them in years though. They melted away on me in 2009.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids of various forms and coloration? Great. I have several, and will add more.

But:

I will never buy ANY coral with a pretentious, scientifically inaccurate name stuck on it by some idiot in order to inflate the price.

I know, Zoanthids aren't the only once this is happening to, but it seems worse in this family than in most.

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved them in my previous tank. Started to loose them as my tank started to go downhill, so have my favorites to a fellow reefer on loan with a promise I would get frags of them when my new tank got started. A year later now and my new tank, SPS dominant is coming into it's own. Checked back for the promised frags and he'd thought I wasn't interested in them. To much time had gone by and he said gave/ sold them. I'm left with only one old timer, eagle eyes, though they are still an attention grabber.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't grow them. They shrink up and die. No idea why. Nothing picks on them, No nudi I can find. Just don't like my tank parameters. xenia did same thing looked at potassium but its 370, iodine is fine. Had both low and high P/N no difference. Besides with all the press lately I don't much trust them anymore.

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how they look a lot. Call me paranoid or over cautious, but they won't enter my tank anymore due to Palytoxin. I have 3 small children and the idea of possibly having something very poisonous in the tank is not appealing to me what so ever.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids of various forms and coloration? Great. I have several, and will add more.

But:

I will never buy ANY coral with a pretentious, scientifically inaccurate name stuck on it by some idiot in order to inflate the price.

I'm with you on that.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just because you can't keep them alive in your main tank you lost it? I got you!
bdef20f376c0e0b2932f239d34a5ca89.jpg

My zoas are doing great man! I was growing them, cutting and trading before you even thought about a saltwater tank! :p

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine haven’t been growing but I’ve got other issues. Like cyano now. Though the hair algae is on its way out

I also have these tubes on two of them which I need to get a pic of and an ID.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas are doing great man! I was growing them, cutting and trading before you even thought about a saltwater tank! :p

How bout some pics @revhtree ??? Where are the pics????

;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back