Poll: Do you even ZOA? Well do you?

Rate your love for zoas!

• I'm a zoa head! I love them!

Votes: 128 20.0%
  • I like them in my tank.

Votes: 268 41.8%
  • If I find the right one I'll add it to my reef.

Votes: 149 23.2%
  • No zoas for me!

Votes: 81 12.6%
  • I'll nuke them out of my tank no matter what morph it is.

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my opinion that the increased awareness of palytoxin and potential invasiveness of zoas/palys has deterred some from keeping them.

I have a small isolated island of Rastas, about 2"x3", and that's all.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been a zoanthid fan for a long time.
But they can be heart breakers. I'm down to just a few small colony's/frags that I keep off to the side of my 233.
I've been tempted put my T5 fixture back up on my 50 and get a couple pieces going again.
I might look around and see if anyone has any PPE's. They were my first venture into ridiculously priced tiny frags

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our rastas!! Always been my favorite.
20171115_184230.jpg

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't grow them. They shrink up and die. No idea why. Nothing picks on them, No nudi I can find. Just don't like my tank parameters. xenia did same thing looked at potassium but its 370, iodine is fine. Had both low and high P/N no difference. Besides with all the press lately I don't much trust them anymore.
Me too.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few in my 66 that I love though one frag had something attacking it. Just picked up 4 frags for the 125. Is it better to put them on rock islands or does it matter. I have some giant palys in my 66 that will overrun the zoas and small palys at some point. Hubby loves it. I don't. I can see I'll have to eventually move the entire rock to the 125 as an island... And maybe sooner than I'd like
20180306_200232.jpg
20180306_200236.jpg
20180306_200240.jpg
20180306_200435.jpg

something eating?
20180423_180704.jpg
20180423_180710.jpg

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't grow them. They shrink up and die. No idea why. Nothing picks on them, No nudi I can find. Just don't like my tank parameters. xenia did same thing looked at potassium but its 370, iodine is fine. Had both low and high P/N no difference. Besides with all the press lately I don't much trust them anymore.

Try This Thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...nthids-happy-healthy-and-growing-fast.250791/

It offers Many Many Tips on Keeping Zoanthids Happy, Healthy, and Growing Fast.

Hopefully it Helps you out.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids are still Hugely Popular.

Zoanthids are Hands down the Most Abundant Coral at any Frag Swap that I go to (About 28 This Year) :)

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens to us all. I have a good amount, probably in the hundreds by now since i started to spot feed with reedroids a couple times a week and i still have a couple that wont grow(5 green palys for 4 months, idk what to do with them, its soo annoying) and others that just shrivle up but wont die becuase they feel like it. Try spot feeding.

Cubano32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I love zoas and have been trying to get my zoa garden up and running. But like someone mentioned before i don't buy my zoas based on the named i go by color skirt shape patterns ect...if I like how it looks I'll try to buy it but like everyone in this hobby as of lately they are trying to become rich doing this and have raised some pretty ridiculous prices for zoas and for that I feel like i or prob a lot of us out there wont be able to collect some of the very really beautiful zoas...

150pp is just insane I'll pass

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think half the problem lately is everyone knows what palytoxin is, and is super scared of it.

Heres the thing, its called PALYTOXIN not zoa toxin, there is a distinct difference. While you certanly can get palytoxin from certain zoas, no one knows what ones have it, and what ones don't.

I think most people don't know the difference between zoas or paly's, so the just stay away all together. The chances of getting palytoxin are pretty slim anyways unless your "cooking" some rock with them on it, or actively cutting them up without proper protection. It's a defense mechanism, so if they are not stressed to the point they feel they need to defend themselves, your fine.

I agree with the above though, everyone slaps a special name on it, and charges an arm and a leg. It's pure BS, kind of the like the current bounce mushroom craze. The same mushrooms you couldn't give away 2 or 3 years ago, now are going for 2 to 5k.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like Zoas but it is heartbreaking when they take a turn and melt away into nothing. I would like to know what everybody's go-to move is. Moving them? Dipping them? A few in my top down pick are fractions of what they once were. The bright red Zoas somewhat in the middle of the pic is down to 2-3 polyps.
20171217_183540.jpg

Twolabs443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few small colonies started. Really love the variety of colors available. While I do understand people concerns and caution due to pakytoxin, I also ask whether those same folks also refuse to keep any cleaning chemicals or other hazardous items in their homes as well? I feel that the risk of accidental palytoxin poisoning, especially if being careful, is less than the risk of many other things we all keep in our homes without giving them a second thought.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get rid of the hair algae ?
I bought two mollies lol. Them combined with some plucking and the hermits have gotten it nicely under control. It’s not completely gone but it’s getting there.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back