Poll: Do you even ZOA? Well do you?

Rate your love for zoas!

• I'm a zoa head! I love them!

Votes: 128 20.0%
  • I like them in my tank.

Votes: 268 41.8%
  • If I find the right one I'll add it to my reef.

Votes: 149 23.2%
  • No zoas for me!

Votes: 81 12.6%
  • I'll nuke them out of my tank no matter what morph it is.

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few small colonies started. Really love the variety of colors available. While I do understand people concerns and caution due to pakytoxin, I also ask whether those same folks also refuse to keep any cleaning chemicals or other hazardous items in their homes as well? I feel that the risk of accidental palytoxin poisoning, especially if being careful, is less than the risk of many other things we all keep in our homes without giving them a second thought.

Amen. Don't be stupid... know that it's there, and behave appropriately. Wash your hands, don't go fishing around in your tank with an open wound, and don't use your wife's good spatula to scrape your tank :)

Twolabs443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen. Don't be stupid... know that it's there, and behave appropriately. Wash your hands, don't go fishing around in your tank with an open wound, and don't use your wife's good spatula to scrape your tank :)
For me it’s a lot like folks that are afraid to fly, but see no issue with driving their car to the airport. You are way more likely to die in a traffic accident on the way to the airport than a plane crash. Informative stories about dangers in any activity are important, but I find more often than not the stories on palytoxin that seem to be making headlines lately are at the very least sensationalized and at their worst at times even misinformed. Usually the event in question revolves around someone doing something they really shouldn’t have been.

Hammer100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jamba juice.jpg

Only about half of these guys are left and im not sure what is happening to them. I did add some more flow to my tank but my other zoas are doing fine.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what corals make good neighbors for zoas? Can or will they take over? Do you keep them on zoa islands? I have a bunch to place in the new tank. They don't seem to grow all that fast although my colonies have more than doubled in six months.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember when the zoa craze of 2004 hit and the world was changed forever! Well the aquarium world that is! Since that time many many different morphs have entered the trade and with it the prices increased! Old popular morphs lost value and excitement and new morphs broke record pricing.

That being said has the zoa machine slowed? Is it still as popular as it once was or am I the one who lost my zeal for those little beautiful animal buttons?

A few old school I don't see anymore...

Rev was was the name of the site before it was reef2reef? ;)

rob G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how they look a lot. Call me paranoid or over cautious, but they won't enter my tank anymore due to Palytoxin. I have 3 small children and the idea of possibly having something very poisonous in the tank is not appealing to me what so ever.
I agree 100%, I love the colors and how easy to care for the are compared to sps or others, but not worth the risk. I read something about Xenia being an issue recently with a family in the UK. Is it me, or does it seem like all the poisoning stories come from the UK ? maybe its just the few that I read but.....still not worth the risk no matter how small.

rob G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think half the problem lately is everyone knows what palytoxin is, and is super scared of it.

Heres the thing, its called PALYTOXIN not zoa toxin, there is a distinct difference. While you certanly can get palytoxin from certain zoas, no one knows what ones have it, and what ones don't.

I think most people don't know the difference between zoas or paly's, so the just stay away all together. The chances of getting palytoxin are pretty slim anyways unless your "cooking" some rock with them on it, or actively cutting them up without proper protection. It's a defense mechanism, so if they are not stressed to the point they feel they need to defend themselves, your fine.

I agree with the above though, everyone slaps a special name on it, and charges an arm and a leg. It's pure BS, kind of the like the current bounce mushroom craze. The same mushrooms you couldn't give away 2 or 3 years ago, now are going for 2 to 5k.
Check this out though, Xenia....supposedly https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...c-fumes-location-chris-matthews-a8291441.html

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think half the problem lately is everyone knows what palytoxin is, and is super scared of it.

Heres the thing, its called PALYTOXIN not zoa toxin, there is a distinct difference. While you certanly can get palytoxin from certain zoas, no one knows what ones have it, and what ones don't.

I think most people don't know the difference between zoas or paly's, so the just stay away all together. The chances of getting palytoxin are pretty slim anyways unless your "cooking" some rock with them on it, or actively cutting them up without proper protection. It's a defense mechanism, so if they are not stressed to the point they feel they need to defend themselves, your fine.

I agree with the above though, everyone slaps a special name on it, and charges an arm and a leg. It's pure BS, kind of the like the current bounce mushroom craze. The same mushrooms you couldn't give away 2 or 3 years ago, now are going for 2 to 5k.

I am getting really really tired of this Zoanthid Hysteria.

People Have been keeping them for Decades with NO Problems.

Now all of a Sudden this Mass Hysteria.

I know a guy who cleans Tanks for a Living.

A few Years ago he caught some Nasty Infection Cleaning somebodies Tank (A Tank with NO Zoanthids Mind You).

It was Nasty.

He Almost Lost His Arm and was in the Hospital for a Month !!!!

His Flesh was Rotting Away !!!!

My Point is if you are Worried About Paly Toxin Don't Keep a Saltwater Tank Whatsoever because there are other things that can get you like the person I mentioned above got.

What happened to him could have happened in any Tank (With or Without Zoanthids).

Who Knows what else is out there too.

And Lets stop Driving Cars because we could die in a Car Accident too.

Don't do Stupid Things like Boil Rocks and you will be Fine.

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Thing that I would like to Point Out that nobody seems to Talk About is Not All Zoanthids are the Same.

I have a friend that went to the hospital after cutting Grandis Paly's.

And Proto-Palys have crashed many tanks especially Texas Trash.

That Leads me to Believe only a Select Few Have Been Causing the Problems in the News.

I also keep Poison Dart Frogs.

They all have Poison but at Different Levels.

Even though there are a Ton of Different Poison Dart Frog Species The Natives Only use 3 Poison Dart Frogs (All Terribilis) to Poison Their Arrows.

Why is that? Because They Only Use the Most Toxic Ones since they want to inflict the most damage to their enemies.

And all these stories revolve around boiling rocks.

I’m guessing 9 out 10 times that it is Texas Trash (Or Some Other Type of Proto-Paly) because they grow so fast.

Based on What I have Seen and Read I think Zoanthids are like Poison Dart Frogs.

All have Poison but only a Very Very Few (Like less than 1 Percent) will give you trouble - Grandis Paly's and Proto-Palys.

I Feel that if you avoid Grandis Paly's and Proto-Palys you will have no problems whatsoever.

I have Cut Literally Thousands of Zoanthid Frags and have Kept Them for 9 Years Now.

And I have never had any issues.

But I have never Fragged Grandis or Proto-Paly's and I will not be either.

With All the Tank Crashes that I have seen from Proto-Paly's that tells me that they are much much Stronger than your Typical Zoanthid.

Moral of the Story - Don't Blanket and Say ALL Zoanthids are Bad when there is Plenty of Evidence Pointing to Certain Ones.

This is common all throughout the Animal World.

Snakes
Spiders
Jelly Fish
Poison Dart Frogs

While They all Have Poison/Venom Not All of them Will Harm You.

Garter Snakes, Daddy Long Legs Spiders, and Even the Most Popular Pet after Cats and Dogs The Bearded Dragon are all Venomous. They just do not have enough Venom to Affect a Human Being.

So if you are Concerned just Educate Yourself of Which ones to Avoid and Quit Spreading all this Hysteria !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s a lot like folks that are afraid to fly, but see no issue with driving their car to the airport. You are way more likely to die in a traffic accident on the way to the airport than a plane crash. Informative stories about dangers in any activity are important, but I find more often than not the stories on palytoxin that seem to be making headlines lately are at the very least sensationalized and at their worst at times even misinformed. Usually the event in question revolves around someone doing something they really shouldn’t have been.

So True

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Thing that I would like to Point Out that nobody seems to Talk About is Not All Zoanthids are the Same.

I have a friend that went to the hospital after cutting Grandis Paly's.

And Proto-Palys have crashed many tanks especially Texas Trash.

That Leads me to Believe only a Select Few Have Been Causing the Problems in the News.

I also keep Poison Dart Frogs.

They all have Poison but at Different Levels.

Even though there are a Ton of Different Poison Dart Frog Species The Natives Only use 3 Poison Dart Frogs (All Terribilis) to Poison Their Arrows.

Why is that? Because They Only Use the Most Toxic Ones since they want to inflict the most damage to their enemies.

And all these stories revolve around boiling rocks.

I’m guessing 9 out 10 times that it is Texas Trash (Or Some Other Type of Proto-Paly) because they grow so fast.

Based on What I have Seen and Read I think Zoanthids are like Poison Dart Frogs.

All have Poison but only a Very Very Few (Like less than 1 Percent) will give you trouble - Grandis Paly's and Proto-Palys.

I Feel that if you avoid Grandis Paly's and Proto-Palys you will have no problems whatsoever.

I have Cut Literally Thousands of Zoanthid Frags and have Kept Them for 9 Years Now.

And I have never had any issues.

But I have never Fragged Grandis or Proto-Paly's and I will not be either.

With All the Tank Crashes that I have seen from Proto-Paly's that tells me that they are much much Stronger than your Typical Zoanthid.

Moral of the Story - Don't Blanket and Say ALL Zoanthids are Bad when there is Plenty of Evidence Pointing to Certain Ones.

This is common all throughout the Animal World.

Snakes
Spiders
Jelly Fish
Poison Dart Frogs

While They all Have Poison/Venom Not All of them Will Harm You.

Garter Snakes, Daddy Long Legs Spiders, and Even the Most Popular Pet after Cats and Dogs The Bearded Dragon are all Venomous. They just do not have enough Venom to Affect a Human Being.

So if you are Concerned just Educate Yourself of Which ones to Avoid and Quit Spreading all this Hysteria !!!!!!!!
Giggle... it's not paly's. It's zenia... just ask the nice news people...
Or reef builders. [emoji53] watching them repeat that story without fact checking or adding a likely alternative possible explanation just made me sad. Always enjoyed their articles before that one.

Seriously, can someone post a pic of "Texas trash" paly's?
I'm guessing the boring brown or slightly less boring green or the fairly evil yellowish green centered paly's. Those stink worse than the Grandis I've had happily for 6 years.

Or is it the bright yellow protopaly (if you give it enough light to keep sps happy) otherwise yellowish brown.

Thanks!

And one more time for less experienced reefers, "cooking your rocks" does NOT involve a stove or oven.
If you are not familiar with it please Google how to properly use this very useful method of CLEANING your rocks.
[emoji4]
Let's be careful out there and stay safe.
[emoji4]

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100%, I love the colors and how easy to care for the are compared to sps or others, but not worth the risk. I read something about Xenia being an issue recently with a family in the UK. Is it me, or does it seem like all the poisoning stories come from the UK ? maybe its just the few that I read but.....still not worth the risk no matter how small.
The risk of catching a bacterial infection from your tank is a more realistic thing than getting hurt from palytoxin. Educating yourself and being responsible in keeping a tank will go a long way in keeping your family safe. We've kept many different species of palys and zoas for many years without one incident, family is going Strong. After my hands gave been in the tank they get washed with soap and water. If I frag zoas then all necessary precautions are taken to ensure my safety and my family's. Also, xenia is not toxic but boil any type of rock or coral and I'm sure it can make you sick.

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% of the time my hands are in the tank, I'm using gloves
The risk of catching a bacterial infection from your tank is a more realistic thing than getting hurt from palytoxin. Educating yourself and being responsible in keeping a tank will go a long way in keeping your family safe. We've kept many different species of palys and zoas for many years without one incident, family is going Strong. After my hands gave been in the tank they get washed with soap and water. If I frag zoas then all necessary precautions are taken to ensure my safety and my family's. Also, xenia is not toxic but boil any type of rock or coral and I'm sure it can make you sick.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back