Do you feed Frozen food?

How many of us feed frozen food to our tanks?

• I exclusively feed a variety of frozen food to my reef.

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • I feed a mix of frozen and dry food to my reef.

Votes: 68 59.6%
  • I don't feed frozen at all...

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I only feed frozen to finicky eaters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
having three tanks, I feed a combo of both dry and frozen and a very wide variety . My flakes are Ocean Nutrition. Pellets are various sizes of new Life Spectrum and frozen consisting a local brand called Limpets Reef, LRS, Rods, SanFransico bay, Ocean Nutrition and Hikari in many flavors such as Brine, algae, mysis, rotifiers, clam, Prime reef and many more

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stocked up on PE Mysis/Calanus when LiveAquaria had a big frozen food sale, and do one cube of each per day, once a week I'll soak the cube in selcon before feeding. I also have an AFS feeder that runs daily at 2PM with PE mysis and NLS pellets. I occasionally put in some Nori.

Next food order I do, I'll be placing a large order from my old source in FL, Rogger's Reef Food https://www.roggersreeffood.com/ He makes it all by hand, prepared in NSF style to keep it sanitary since he was a real chef, and he uses all food-grade wild sourcing for his mixes. He started the company after making the food for his 265g and later 375g huge SPS systems with big predator fishes and picky eating fishes, and then started making some for locals, and now sells it full time. It didn't make sense when I had my nano tank, but now that I have a big tank again, I'm excited to go back to his mix.

Adam Macleod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i typically use a high grade pellet, with a frozen cube once or twice a week as a treat. I also have LPS pellets i feed my corals with.. the shrimp and snails eat the left overs,

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • I exclusively feed a variety of frozen food to my reef.
  • I feed a mix of frozen and dry food to my reef.
  • I don't feed frozen at all...
  • I only feed frozen to finicky eaters
  • I feed frozen, dry and live food to my reef

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone but I am following Paul B’s method of having fish. No QT. Live and frozen food only. Did this for a long time and I have lost fish, bit no major outbreak.

I don’t do as well as Paul and my fish aren’t breeding and they seem healthy and happy and live for a long time.

immortl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mainly live black worms to my tank (fish, anemones, corals). I used to order them once a month or so, but where I live now I can find them locally at the LFS. On occasion I'll use frozen or pellets, but over 90% of the time it's the live black worms. I also use reef chili sometimes for the corals.

I've been reading and am going to try my hand at making my own frozen food from fresh seafood to mix things up a bit.

on edit: Ha! new member from 2012. Guess I've just been reading.

Terry Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a high quality pellet in the morning for convenience. I give my Foxface chaeto in the morning as well, he likes to graze on it throughout the day. He used to eat nori and lettuce algae, but he likes the chaeto the best.

I make my own frozen food using fresh shrimp, fish, scallops, etc, then I blend and freeze. I feed this in the evening.
I am amazed at how the colors on my fish and especially the coral are since feeding a fresh seafood mix. And it is actually cheaper to make then purchase.

Phil85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use almost exclusively pellet. I mix together a combo of NLS, Hikari and PE mysis brands. I be sure to include both herbivore and omnivorous pellets into the mix. Been doing this for years with fat and colorful fish. Super easy with not having to fuss with frozen packets at every feeding.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back