Do You Feed Your Corals Before or After Your Water Changes?

Do You Feed Your Corals Before or After Your Water Changes?

• Total voters

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you prefer to feed your corals before your water changes? Some seem to prefer to reduce what stays in the water column after feeding by doing a water change after, others seem to look at it as leaving fresh food available for their livestock after a water change, and some feed their tank so often it really doesn’t matter. Interested to see where most people are on this one.

When do you prefer to feed your corals?

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed one day in the morning before light comes on usually spot feed cause they all seem to have there tentacles out at that time then later on the week I'll spray the tank at night instead of spot feeding . I do twice a week so it really doesn't matter if its before or after a water change.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason why never immediately before or after?

First: 6:00 am isn’t a convenient time for a water change lol

Second: early morning when it’s still pitch black out and the house is dark is usually when I observe the most dramatic polyp and feeding tentacle extension so I take advantage of that. I get sps polyps in full daylight on most, but it’s nothing compared to the dark. Smooth skin acros look like Millie’s they’re so polypy in the dark. Best to provide food when the corals are actively feeding

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First: 6:00 am isn’t a convenient time for a water change lol

Second: early morning when it’s still pitch black out and the house is dark is usually when I observe the most dramatic polyp and feeding tentacle extension so I take advantage of that. I get sps polyps in full daylight on most, but it’s nothing compared to the dark. Smooth skin acros look like Millie’s they’re so polypy in the dark. Best to provide food when the corals are actively feeding

That’s sound reasoning. Was just curious to hear what yours was. ;)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral feeding has nothing to do with my water change schedule tbh.
I broadcast feed corals when I feed the fish.
I also put some reef roids in the return section of the sump just before I go to bed.
It swirls around on the water surface, gradually hydrating and sinking so the return pump can send it into the tank.

However, if I ever get the nano I've been thinking about off the ground, that will be different.
Feeding only before large water changes planned for that one.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral feeding has nothing to do with my water change schedule tbh.
I broadcast feed corals when I feed the fish.
I also put some reef roids in the return section of the sump just before I go to bed.
It swirls around on the water surface, gradually hydrating and sinking so the return pump can send it into the tank.

However, if I ever get the nano I've been thinking about off the ground, that will be different.
Feeding only before large water changes planned for that one.

Great feedback! Tank size and nutrient export differences were definitely why I expected variance in the responses but so far people seem to err on the side of keeping the tank water clean and feeding before, and the other big group (feeding whenever), I am guessing are those with the much higher water volume who don’t have too much cause to worry. Thanks, @rkpetersen! :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, fail to see why one should correlate to the other - of course, I don't actually feed my corals LOL. It would seem to me, conceptually, counterproductive to broadcast feed a tank and then immediately do a water change.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, fail to see why one should correlate to the other - of course, I don't actually feed my corals LOL. It would seem to me, conceptually, counterproductive to broadcast feed a tank and then immediately do a water change.

That’s my thought process as well, although some may reason that if spot feeding, the corals are up-taking enough of the food and enough remains in the water column even after a 10-15% water change and that the water change simply helps from too much excess food remaining in the water. ;)

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reefs get OysterFeast, PhytoFeast and Reef Roids every night after lights-out. Water changes on the order of 10% are once a week, occasionally running to two weeks if I'm really busy. So there's little correlation with feeding; that said, I do employ continuous export in the form of skimming and GFO, and usually with carbon dosing. Otherwise, I'm betting my nitrates and phosphates would be through the roof. ;)

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed oyster feast, R.O.E, live phytoplankton and Reef Roids two times per day, (4 am and 7 pm) the more I feed the happier my corals. My limitation is nutrients which run 4-8 ppm NO3 and .03-.08 phosphate. Religiously complete 10% WC every 7 days. Balance is the key IMO with respect to WC, nutrients, feeding and all the inner workings of the sump.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reefs get OysterFeast, PhytoFeast and Reef Roids every night after lights-out. Water changes on the order of 10% are once a week, occasionally running to two weeks if I'm really busy. So there's little correlation with feeding; that said, I do employ continuous export in the form of skimming and GFO, and usually with carbon dosing. Otherwise, I'm betting my nitrates and phosphates would be through the roof. ;)

I target feed oyster feast, R.O.E, live phytoplankton and Reef Roids two times per day, (4 am and 7 pm) the more I feed the happier my corals. My limitation is nutrients which run 4-8 ppm NO3 and .03-.08 phosphate. Religiously complete 10% WC every 7 days. Balance is the key IMO with respect to WC, nutrients, feeding and all the inner workings of the sump.

Great feedback! Thank you both! :D

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back