do you frag

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you frag corals for propagation is there A way to speed up the encrusting process on sps or does time heal all wounds? Also what do you add to supplement your frag tank?

acrotrdco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We often have localized frag swap between a small group of friends here, and so we frag our SPS quite often. In my case, my SPS's usually heal and start growing again within 2 week's time, all I do is to keep my Ca/KH/Mg as stable as possible, I do give a lot of suppliment additives however, Sr / K / Iodide / Trace Elements / KZ SP / KZ B-Balance / KZ Stylo-Pocci Glow, etc.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I frag a lot, it's one of my favorite parts of the hobby- just something satisfying about seeing something grow, and then being able to propogate it, suppose some of the Oklahoma roots on my moms side are showing :tongue:

I dose the main three (alk/calc/mag) and count on semi-frequent water changes to take care of the rest. Depending on the coral, I usually have the wound healed over within a week, with complete heal-over and new outgrowth starting after 1-3 weeks. Oddly the larger cuts tend to start growing new polyps the fastest, but take much longer to then proceed growing out.

But yea, patience is really the #1 thing to cause coral growth, beyond ensuring good conditions for the frag (no algae on frag plug/near cuts, healthy amounts of light and flow, etc)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back