Do you have a lazy fish/invert? If so which ones(s) and why?

Do you have a lazy fish/invert/other?

• Total voters

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful fish! Can I fit one in a 5g? ;-) Speaking of lazy snails... my trochus snail is really hard working but my margarita snail doesn't seem to do anything. He certainly doesn't eat the algae which is what I got him for. LOL
Only if you run a canister filter and keep them in groups.

I am thinking that I need to get more trochus to motivate the others. They don't know how good they have it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful fish! Can I fit one in a 5g? ;-) Speaking of lazy snails... my trochus snail is really hard working but my margarita snail doesn't seem to do anything. He certainly doesn't eat the algae which is what I got him for. LOL
Also thank you!

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of threads talking about the hard working fish/inverts we have in our tanks but the spotlight never shines on the lazier, less ambitious members of the tank community. I thought about this because I have acquired one of these members of the ocean. He is a Spotted Coral Croucher. His name is Waldo. Waldo has made his home between the glass and the back of one of my powerheads just below the surface. I already new these guys don't move much. They're shy and cryptic and unless there is a lot of live food that passes by their mouths they need to be target fed. That's fine. I target feed all of my inhabitants regardless. Everyone in the tank knows when the pumps shut down it's feeding time and everyone eagerly gets ready for the buffet. I feed with a medicine dropper so I usually squirt out food a few mm away and the intended recipient moves to the food... but not Waldo (did I say the food is only a couple mm away?). Waldo will not move even a couple mm to get food. What does Waldo do when the pumps go off? He orients himself facing upward and opens his mouth and waits for me to literally squirt food in his mouth. Moving a couple mm for food doesn't happen in Waldo's world (but I still love him anyway). :)

Tell me about yours. Maybe you bought them for a specific task that they haven't lived up to. Can be fish, inverts or whatever.

@blaxsun I saw a comment of yours from Nov. 2021 in a thread that talked about hard working fish and your reply was that the next thread should be about lazy fish. I couldn't find one so this thread is for you. :)

Here is a pic of Waldo just after adding him before he found the powerhead.

20211205_200454_HDR_compress3.jpg
You said your in Canada? Where did You get him?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your in Canada? Where did You get him?
Canada Corals in BC. I paid to have him shipped same day (along with a bunch of corals of course) to Toronto because it was so cold. They won't ship by courier in the cold months. I had to pick him up from the airport. They have a waitlist for these guys. From my understanding they usually come in accidentally on corals which is why they're hard to come by. I don't think they're actively collected. I have a list of about fifteen reef shops across Canada that I actively searched their websites everyday in hopes of finding one and I got on the waitlist at Canada Corals. Finally got an email from them that one had come in. I hope Waldo lives to be 30 because I would hate to have to do that search again anytime soon.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canada Corals in BC. I paid to have him shipped same day (along with a bunch of corals of course) to Toronto because it was so cold. They won't ship by courier in the cold months. I had to pick him up from the airport. They have a waitlist for these guys. From my understanding they usually come in accidentally on corals which is why they're hard to come by. I don't think they're actively collected. I have a list of about fifteen reef shops across Canada that I actively searched their websites everyday in hopes of finding one and I got on the waitlist at Canada Corals. Finally got an email from them that one had come in. I hope Waldo lives to be 30 because I would hate to have to do that search again anytime soon.
So correct me if my Canadian geography is wrong but BC is British Columbia as in West coast and you are in Toronto basicly East coast. That is one long journey if not the longest journey across Canada that one could make.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My midas blenny for sure, always perching and creeping to see what I’m up to. Love this little guy
I wish you could react to an individual photo. If so this would be my favorite.
CA5D7EDD-476F-4708-9051-0DF53CFFC2A6.jpeg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My midas blenny for sure, always perching and creeping to see what I’m up to. Love this little guy
That is a beautiful fish! I've seen them mentioned but I don't think I have seen a pic before. I really want a blenny but I think most of them get too big for my tank. I really need to upgrade. If I ditch my dining room table I can go bigger. Haha. How big is this one? They always look small in pics and then I realize it's a pic of a 50g+ tank. LOL

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So correct me if my Canadian geography is wrong but BC is British Columbia as in West coast and you are in Toronto basicly East coast. That is one long journey if not the longest journey across Canada that one could make.
Yep, BC (I used to live there when I was really young) is west coast and Ontario is getting closer to the east coast. We're center east if that makes sense. I was shocked at how quickly he got here. He was on the plane early morning in BC and made it to Ontario by about 5:30pm the same day. I think the plane also stopped in Alberta for more cargo. I was so stressed and it was during the trucker protests up here where a lot of roads were choked with trucks. I nearly passed out from relief when I got home and opened the box to find Waldo and the corals in excellent condition. The box was packed so well. The store did a great job! Waldo has probably seen more of Canada than I have. LOL

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an emerald green crab who lives in a hole. All he does it try to pinch me when I clean the aqua scape. Doesn't clean anything, doesn't move much. But everybody in the family loves him.
It's the lazy ones that always seem to capture our hearts. LOL I'm surprised to hear of a lazy emerald crab. I thought they were like vacuum cleaners in a tank. :)

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful fish! I've seen them mentioned but I don't think I have seen a pic before. I really want a blenny but I think most of them get too big for my tank. I really need to upgrade. If I ditch my dining room table I can go bigger. Haha. How big is this one? They always look small in pics and then I realize it's a pic of a 50g+ tank. LOL
They really are very interesting fish to keep, right now he’s about 4 inches still growing. Got him when he was about 2.5 but what draws me the most about this fish is the way they swim, very much eel like and they have very small fins and wiggle their body against the stream, pretty cool fish IMO

Attachments

• AB8D7A01-752B-402A-B9ED-3BC4315F2891.jpeg
    AB8D7A01-752B-402A-B9ED-3BC4315F2891.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 60

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try a tailspot blenny, I have one of them in my fluval and they’re hilarious little rascals. Mine also perches all day while nipping at GHA and film algae growing on glass

Attachments

• 50E3C038-9728-4578-A05E-0CFD4D4E8CB2.jpeg
    50E3C038-9728-4578-A05E-0CFD4D4E8CB2.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 53

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, BC (I used to live there when I was really young) is west coast and Ontario is getting closer to the east coast. We're center east if that makes sense. I was shocked at how quickly he got here. He was on the plane early morning in BC and made it to Ontario by about 5:30pm the same day. I think the plane also stopped in Alberta for more cargo. I was so stressed and it was during the trucker protests up here where a lot of roads were choked with trucks. I nearly passed out from relief when I got home and opened the box to find Waldo and the corals in excellent condition. The box was packed so well. The store did a great job! Waldo has probably seen more of Canada than I have. LOL
Lol Ontario Toronto... What is 955km between Canadians?

CalsReef2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the lazy ones that always seem to capture our hearts. LOL I'm surprised to hear of a lazy emerald crab. I thought they were like vacuum cleaners in a tank. :)
Out of the 4 tanks I have, 3 have Emerald Crabs. This being, One works like a madman, eating everything in its path, one is okay at cleaning, and the other is just lazy!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the 4 tanks I have, 3 have Emerald Crabs. This being, One works like a madman, eating everything in its path, one is okay at cleaning, and the other is just lazy!
That is nuts! I kind of expected snails could be lazy but not crabs. Haha.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back