Do you have a lazy fish/invert? If so which ones(s) and why?

Do you have a lazy fish/invert/other?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my fighting conch is super lazy…i introduced a tiger/strawberry conch and he works more than the fighting has ever done
Wow, I never expected to read that about a conch. Haha. I thought they were workhorses.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun I saw a comment of yours from Nov. 2021 in a thread that talked about hard working fish and your reply was that the next thread should be about lazy fish. I couldn't find one so this thread is for you. :)
Haha, touche! Now I have to add mine to the list...

I have a Midas blenny. How lazy is he? He couldn't be bothered to retain his original yellow color and has instead lapsed to a deep purple/blue. Still not convinced? He spends 23/7 of his time in his barnacle - only venturing out to briefly snag food. Need more proof? When I relocated his barnacle across the tank he curled up and hid inside it rather than swim the 2ft distance required.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, touche! Now I have to add mine to the list...

I have a Midas blenny. How lazy is he? He couldn't be bothered to retain his original yellow color and has instead lapsed to a deep purple/blue. Still not convinced? He spends 23/7 of his time in his barnacle - only venturing out to briefly snag food. Need more proof? When I relocated his barnacle across the tank he curled up and hid inside it rather than swim the 2ft distance required.
OMG! That is hilarious!! I think that qualifies as uber lazy! I wonder if being kept in captivity has spawned new generations of lazy fish and inverts. What the heck would they do if they suddenly found themselves back in the ocean. I expect their reply would be... "What do you mean I have to swim to get my food? Isn't there a drive-through in this part of the ocean and where's the caviar?" Lazy!! (But so cute!!) :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! That is hilarious!! I think that qualifies as uber lazy! I wonder if being kept in captivity has spawned new generations of lazy fish and inverts. What the heck would they do if they suddenly found themselves back in the ocean. I expect their reply would be... "What do you mean I have to swim to get my food? Isn't there a drive-through in this part of the ocean and where's the caviar?" Lazy!! (But so cute!!) :)
The runner up is my marine betta. He only comes out at night; during the day he hides under his rock shelf in the back and only briefly rises up to snag a bite of food if it drifts close. I even watched a piece of mysis bounce off his head and roll down the side of his jaw the other day...

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The runner up is my marine betta. He only comes out at night; during the day he hides under his rock shelf in the back and only briefly rises up to snag a bite of food if it drifts close. I even watched a piece of mysis bounce off his head and roll down the side of his jaw the other day...
LOL... Yep, I have witnessed that classic scene as well. Evolution made a left turn with some creatures. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My blood red fire shrimp
I know where it is and I can see him- just never comes out in the open

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blood red fire shrimp
I know where it is and I can see him- just never comes out in the open
That seems odd for a shrimp. :) I got a bumblebee snail about three or four months ago as part of my cuc. I saw him a fair bit in the beginning and then he disappeared. I thought my pistol shrimp snagged him. I'm shocked to have just spotted him under a rock. I don't know how much there is to clean up under the rock and I don't think he's been in the sand around the tank because I'm quite sure the gravel cleaner would have come across him while I'm siphoning sand so I think he's become a lazy snail or maybe he's become nocturnal. I don't know how he's still alive. :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some bubble algae in a frag tank so I added a couple emerald crabs. Saw one working on a section and thought, "Good, he's doing his job." Came back a while later and he had cleaned all the detritus from around the bubble algae and it was nice and pretty... Little dork didn't help at all!

Edit: I suppose he wasn't lazy, just not working at what I wanted him to

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some bubble algae in a frag tank so I added a couple emerald crabs. Saw one working on a section and thought, "Good, he's doing his job." Came back a while later and he had cleaned all the detritus from around the bubble algae and it was nice and pretty... Little dork didn't help at all!

Edit: I suppose he wasn't lazy, just not working at what I wanted him to
lol! That totally counts. Apparently he took it upon himself to rewrite the job description. "HELP Wanted: Emerald crab to eat bubble algae in tank".. Emerald crab says to himself "Nope. I don't like bubble algae so when I get the job I will eat everything around it. My employer won't notice the difference." :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving these stories about lazy fish ;Woot I have a lawnmower blenny that lives right under the feeder ring haha- Raven
That is hilarious! It can be said some of our saltwater companions are kind of lazy but we can't say they are stupid! There definitely seems to be some cognitive learning going on. :) I can imagine your blenny back in the wild saying to a buddy... "Dude where's the feeding ring?" LOL

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Karen00 hope all is well,nothing to do with lazy fish thread but read a thread the other week where I think was you stating liked idea of a rodi unit but didn't like the idea of all tje waste water ( some gave suggestions about using waste water for other things like water plants and what not) but thought of you when something few weeks ago mentioned a zero waste rodi unit where keeps re- using the waste water so much much less water wasted.never owned one or used one and only heard of it in thread im about to share few weeks ago. But I think in last few pages someone mentioned it and give the pros and cons of it,sorry took me so long to get around to sharing thread to you I forgot about it lol but maybe something for you to look into and research to see if something that could ne off interest for you .
Good luck ^_^

Post 2 and on a little info on it

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it does have to be installed " piping" a certain distance from the heater though. It uses a pressure pump to force water through and back into the water heater. Both tubes are connected to the heater. I did not read the distance from the tubing connection requirements until I was done My fault still works. Get the brass fittings work great
20210314_085247.jpg
20210307_130017.jpg
20210307_104108.jpg
20210307_104115.jpg
Quote from @Freenow54 who mentioned it and picture what one he got / recommends. So could pick his brain if he doesn't mind ( which he seems super helpfull) or research yourself if want to get a rodi with 0 waste or substantially lower waste as my sceptical head has learnt sometimes everything isn't as it seems/ advertised fully .
Ovniously alot are but just how head thinks sometimes which I know is very weird as now I'm thinking I'm suggestion this item that someone else recommended then ending sentence with " UMMM BUT MAYBE IT DOESNT DO AS ADVERTISED "
I know I know my head twisted ha ha
Anyway good luck and does seem like good product or at least great idea as wasting water not cool

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote from @Freenow54 who mentioned it and picture what one he got / recommends. So could pick his brain if he doesn't mind ( which he seems super helpfull) or research yourself if want to get a rodi with 0 waste or substantially lower waste as my sceptical head has learnt sometimes everything isn't as it seems/ advertised fully .
Ovniously alot are but just how head thinks sometimes which I know is very weird as now I'm thinking I'm suggestion this item that someone else recommended then ending sentence with " UMMM BUT MAYBE IT DOESNT DO AS ADVERTISED "
I know I know my head twisted ha ha
Anyway good luck and does seem like good product or at least great idea as wasting water not cool
OMG! Thanks for sharing this!! If there is a unit like this I would be in heaven! I was looking at getting a water distiller just to avoid the waste. I read some threads where distillation, depending on the unit, won't get rid of everything but it still has to be better than using tap water overall. I know a distiller would be impractical for people with large tanks but given mine is only a 5g it would probably be OK. I was using store bought distilled water for topoffs but then my nitrates bottom out and I read some comments in other threads where people went back to using tap water until they got their nitrates back up so I've gone back to tap water for now. Once everything is within range I would like to somehow start using pure water to make my salt. Thanks again for sharing this! :) :)

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Karen00 hope all is well,nothing to do with lazy fish thread but read a thread the other week where I think was you stating liked idea of a rodi unit but didn't like the idea of all tje waste water ( some gave suggestions about using waste water for other things like water plants and what not) but thought of you when something few weeks ago mentioned a zero waste rodi unit where keeps re- using the waste water so much much less water wasted.never owned one or used one and only heard of it in thread im about to share few weeks ago. But I think in last few pages someone mentioned it and give the pros and cons of it,sorry took me so long to get around to sharing thread to you I forgot about it lol but maybe something for you to look into and research to see if something that could ne off interest for you .
Good luck ^_^

Post 2 and on a little info on it
What it actually does is force the waste water back into the water heater so don't drink hot water lol

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! Thanks for sharing this!! If there is a unit like this I would be in heaven! I was looking at getting a water distiller just to avoid the waste. I read some threads where distillation, depending on the unit, won't get rid of everything but it still has to be better than using tap water overall. I know a distiller would be impractical for people with large tanks but given mine is only a 5g it would probably be OK. I was using store bought distilled water for topoffs but then my nitrates bottom out and I read some comments in other threads where people went back to using tap water until they got their nitrates back up so I've gone back to tap water for now. Once everything is within range I would like to somehow start using pure water to make my salt. Thanks again for sharing this! :) :)
The RO system I mentioned is is made by Watts. It is called Watts Premier. Does not come with a DI filter though.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back