Do you keep fish in your frag tank?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a frag tank for a little over a year now and it's a great place to QT new corals and treat unhealthy ones. However I find I'm constantly struggling to keep enough nutrients in it. While I'm feeding Reef Roids and live phyto, it's not enough and I need to supplement by dosing NO3 and PO4 almost daily.

My question is, would it simply be easier to put some fish in there? The tank is only 18"x12"x12" so my options are limited, I was thinking a pair of pygmy gobies. It just seems easier than dosing nutrients, have a couple fish that I can watch, and who also fertilize my corals. Others with frag tanks, do you keep fish in there? If not, how do you meet the nutrient needs of your hungry corals?

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've had a frag tank for a little over a year now and it's a great place to QT new corals and treat unhealthy ones. However I find I'm constantly struggling to keep enough nutrients in it. While I'm feeding Reef Roids and live phyto, it's not enough and I need to supplement by dosing NO3 and PO4 almost daily.

My question is, would it simply be easier to put some fish in there? The tank is only 18"x12"x12" so my options are limited, I was thinking a pair of pygmy gobies. It just seems easier than dosing nutrients, have a couple fish that I can watch, and who also fertilize my corals. Others with frag tanks, do you keep fish in there? If not, how do you meet the nutrient needs of your hungry corals?
Yes, I do keep fish in my frag tanks. If it is big enough to support a functional fish like a tang then that’s great. If not, then a hardy smaller fish like a clown is what I’ve kept.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you also run a skimmer or other filtration in it? Or is it tied into your main system.

corey

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Do you also run a skimmer or other filtration in it? Or is it tied into your main system.

corey
I ran a 20 gal tank for three yrs with a hang on the back filter. It did just fine bc the bio load was low. And I have a 50 g frag tank plumbed into a system that supports my 70 g display tank. I think you can go both ways. Just gotta make sure you don’t overwhelm your filtration system.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what your goals are.

I don't have fish in my coral QT since I don't want to bring in potential fish pests either. However, I don't find nutrients to be an issue. I use old aged live rock and no other filtration.

I wouldn't think pygmy gobies would have much impact.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag system is 36x24x12.
I keep a 6 line wrass, diamond goby , and a clown that I have had for 5 years that lives in a 20+ head frogspawn.

Attachments

• 20211031_155223.jpg
    20211031_155223.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210803_165156.jpg
    20210803_165156.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 39

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a macro algae tank, not corals, but the algae need nitrate too. So to start my tank I used the "dirty" water from my fish tank when I do a water change. That water is full of nitrate, and I figured it would be good for the algae. As I do not have a fish in there, I continue to give them some of that water. It seems to be working. I also put a few rocks.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a macro algae tank, not corals, but the algae need nitrate too. So to start my tank I used the "dirty" water from my fish tank when I do a water change. That water is full of nitrate, and I figured it would be good for the algae. As I do not have a fish in there, I continue to give them some of that water. It seems to be working. I also put a few rocks.
Pics?. I have a remote fuge plumed into my 120. No fish but the macro grows very fast.
Good Idea with the tank water.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin Mollies seem like a good option. Extremely hardy. Can be aquired from fresh and acclimated to salt thereby not requiring QT as freshwater parasites won't survive in Salt. Can withstand large fluctuations in salinity as well as DKH. Love to eat algae. Plus relatively cheap and come in different color varieties. Might as well add something that will not only add nutrients but remove nuisance hair algae as well.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back