Do you know your LPS's???

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person that gave me this said it was some kind of montipora....:squigglemouth:lol....I know it's not that but don't know what is it either?... it has a similar look to an elegance coral but in miniature....and the skeleton isn't the same either... it grows quicly even in the snad where it is.... appreciate your help thanks!
IMG_7618.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 Elegance

OP
OP
PR_Reefers

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the piece is about 2"..... the elegance i know has large polyps these are very small! are there elegance like this also is it a different sp.?

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it isn't an elegance! the picture doesn't allow you to see what it is clearly. it's something i've never seen before!

OP
OP
PR_Reefers

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday jledon and I were discussing about this and he suggested hydnophora (an SPS), at first I doubted, bc first this didn't seem like an SPS at all, and also this coral was growing horizontally more than vertically kind of like a chalice.... but I remembered a previous hydnophora of mine which had similar coralites! We looked it up and to both our suprise it actually was, Hydnophora exesa , an encrusting hydnophora!!! Although this has got to be the most LPS looking SPS I know of, it should not have been in this forum in the first place!! LOL

here is a link for reference
Horn Coral, Encrusting

by the way I have about three - 1 1/2"- 2" frags of this if anyone is interested

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back