Do you pass on the savings to your fellow reefers?

Do you pass on the savings to your fellow reefers?

• Yes

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Depends on the Coral

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral prices in our area are very low within our club and much lower than retail. I'm selling frags to try to help offset costs. I do give away frags from time to time. I do also try to give back where I can in other ways. I have given away some equipment with the stipulation that it should not be sold but given to someone else when the time comes. I have seen some members profit from buying cheap equipment on one site and sold on another, but it's rare and those people don't usually stick around for the long term.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have really strong opinions about this topic.

So when I sell coral, pricing is never more than I paid. For a coral that grows EXTREMELY slowly (looking at you, high end mushrooms) I charge what I paid. (I only buy corals I think are a good deal, and only buy from local reefers. My jawbreakers cost $47).

When I have a coral that grows reasonably quickly I set price based on the number of reasonable size frags i can cut. If a coral can only give one frag, I'm inclined to sell it at the price I paid for the frag. When a coral can give more than one frag in the first fragging session, or if it's the second frag from a colony, I sell at half the price I paid.

Assuming I will frag a coral more than once in the lifetime of the coral, I target 50% of the price I paid as my selling price.

In exchange for the bargain, I ask the local reefers I sell to to agree to sell me a frag back if my colony never crashes.

I do not sell to people who I think would resell, and if I find that another person is flipping corals I gave them a deal on, I will never sell them a coral again.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am not in the "Business" of reefing. I have never and likely never will ask anyone to pay for anything I frag. I may trade a piece, but that is not the same in my eyes.

Worrying about someone taking my frag and selling it... that is on their conscience, not mine. If I have a piece that needs to be fragged, for me, the choice is either, donate it to the LFS (who will sell it for profit anyway), gift it out, or toss it in the trash.

This is like having a garage sale and telling people "Hey, that piece of junk I have no use for, or desire to keep, may not be sold for profit." Really??

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am not in the "Business" of reefing. I have never and likely never will ask anyone to pay for anything I frag. I may trade a piece, but that is not the same in my eyes.

Worrying about someone taking my frag and selling it... that is on their conscience, not mine. If I have a piece that needs to be fragged, for me, the choice is either, donate it to the LFS (who will sell it for profit anyway), gift it out, or toss it in the trash.

This is like having a garage sale and telling people "Hey, that piece of junk I have no use for, or desire to keep, may not be sold for profit." Really??
I'm all for giving coral to people who I even remotely know, but our local club has a conveyor belt of people who don't have the proper set up for a reef tank and feel entitled to free coral from club members. It rubs me the wrong way.

If we're talking about a coral that is so large that it NEEDS to be fragged that's another story. I typically sell frags so that they can be distributed in the club, and as a part of a general attempt by other folks in the club to help keep the cost of reefing low.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell designer zoas for $10-15 as a way to keep the hobby affordable. I don't make money from this. It offsets the cost of maintaining a frag tank, buuing frag supplies, etc. The same zoas go for $40-$50 at the stores. I give out free corals all the time too. A lot of hobbyists are getting prices out of this hobby. It's sad.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for giving coral to people who I even remotely know, but our local club has a conveyor belt of people who don't have the proper set up for a reef tank and feel entitled to free coral from club members. It rubs me the wrong way.

If we're talking about a coral that is so large that it NEEDS to be fragged that's another story. I typically sell frags so that they can be distributed in the club, and as a part of a general attempt by other folks in the club to help keep the cost of reefing low.

My local club has a trading forum called "Pay it Forward" Where traders agree to give away at least 2 frags for free before selling them. I'm sure some people cheat, but again.... If I need to frag something, what do I care what they do with it?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local club has a trading forum called "Pay it Forward" Where traders agree to give away at least 2 frags for free before selling them. I'm sure some people cheat, but again.... If I need to frag something, what do I care what they do with it?
This is a great idea. We have a "free stuff " forum but it doesn't come with conditions.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have donated several designer frags to my lfs in order for them to propagate them and hopefully have them available for other fellow hobbyists at a much more affordable price.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got back in the hobby, I found a few local guys who were willing to sell me frags for cheap (some even free). Now that I'm cultivating my "high end" stuff, I make sure when I frag it that the same small group of guys has first shot if they want them, usually for free. That way, if my tank ever crashes or I lose something, I know I can get it back at some point. It's happened to me already a couple times with a few harder to find, expensive zoas. I lost mine, but three other guys right here in town have them too (free from me originally), so I don't have to go far to track them down again.

I also like to trade. I've traded some stuff up, traded some down, but I'm always on the hunt for new stuff and trading is a cost effective way to get it. IF I can find it locally.

When it does come time to sell things, I try to give good deals in hopes that people will pay it forward. I recently sold a colony of LSOH that would've sold for more than $1000 "retail" for less than half that, with the caveat that if I lost mine at some point, I could get a polyp or two back.

I've been to a few swaps since they started back up post-COVID. I've seen some killer deals, and I've also seen some hobbyists that were selling right up there at WWC prices. I guess the market will bear what the market will bear. I prefer to GET good deals, so I'm also willing to GIVE good deals.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad to see most here are willing to give good deals. I’m definitely all for the give a good deal. Several in the local Facebook groups give excellent deals. Others as mentioned are at or just below retail

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they say they agree to passing them along at a lower price? If so that sounds great!
yes they did, I don't really know much people in the community around here and I don't have the means of mass fragging. so I thought the best way is to donate some frags to my lfs, even though it might sound counter productive.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my parts the people you see selling or flipping corals regularly are trying to get top dollar. Sometimes making up their own catchy names. Getting stuff for free and turning around and selling it a week later.

My own stuff I give away to people that I like or have sold some stuff for half or less than cheap retail price.

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had this issue the other day. Bought a diaseris plate from a local reefer and posted pics. Someone offered to buy a frag of it and honestly didn't even know what to price it. Just told him make me an offer. Ended up getting a godspawn, deadpool, and candy crush all from a frag I had no idea to price. But I guess what comes around goes around

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also text the one person I know locally and ask him if he can find a good home for coral or fish. Has his own business taking care of tanks. It’s all free.
I should’ve added the drive is almost an hour, so it’s my time and gas but I don’t mind as long as the coral and fish are going to good tanks. It’s a Reefer special, free.
I have a smaller tank, when things grow too large I pass them on. The last one was a very vibrant purple candelabra gorgorian, from 2 inches to amazing.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, example. Local transaction no shipping. 1 hour drive. Sold 5 heads Todd’s Torch for $190. Was supposed to be four heads but the way I cut it, they ended up with the freebie. Always usually sell for 50% off retail Used equipment always around 40% off.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read through all of these posts, but I am in this for the hobby....not a business or a job. And personally, I believe there is a big difference. For example, not too long ago, there was a guy at my work talking about wanting to start up a saltwater tank, and we got to talking. I ended up giving him (no cost) about 20# of live rock, a couple buckets, a chunk of sponge filter from my tank, and some simple testing equipment to get him started. I went to the INDMAS frag swap a few weeks ago, and I gave him a good size of GSP that I had picked up too.
If you ask me, that's just part of the hobby. Now, part of the deal is, if he gets tired of saltwater and wants to get out, I get first pick :cool:

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can gladly say , everything I’ve bought or used , I sold it for less than 50% of the price I got them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back