Do you prefer designer or normal Clownfish?

Designer or original Clowns?

• Designer

Votes: 52 21.5%
  • “Original”

Votes: 112 46.3%
  • Both / Depends (specify)

Votes: 68 28.1%
  • I don’t like Clowns

Votes: 10 4.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the fish and your tattoo are really cool. Congrats on taking such good care of them! I’m so turned off by the inbreeding of the Percula (not Ocellaris) complex that I’ve recently taken a liking to A. Sandaracinos. They’re not as mass produced captive bred and aren’t known for exhibiting all of these “designer” traits

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of designer clownfish, and I've only had one semi picasso, it was a pretty nice and hardy fish. My favorites are the wild percula, maroon gold striped, latezonatus and mccullochii, I don't like those that are bred in captivity at all, they are cheap but they lack some grace.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agree, for me I’ve become more and more friendly towards the Orange Skunks. Basically an Ocellaris with a different color pattern, still peaceful, can find captive bred but not mass produced and no crazy designer variant as far as I know.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of designer clownfish, and I've only had one semi picasso, it was a pretty nice and hardy fish. My favorites are the wild percula, maroon gold striped, latezonatus and mccullochii, I don't like those that are bred in captivity at all, they are cheap but they lack some grace.
I agree here, but I think that if you were to go into genes almost 90% of occs and percs are captive bred, same with maroons and the other common clowns

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue with any of the tank raised clowns are the physical deformities.

My Davinci has a small right fin (a "nemo" fin, apparently). I've had clowns in all of my reefs, but this is the first "designer" clown. He moves around just fine and is perfectly healthy, but apparently these types of things are normal for tank raised clowns.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, inbreeding would happen in the wild, why is it wrong in captivity? It’s natural in many breeds of fish and other animals
True, but it's an open system, it would be like people only mating with people who are native to Japan Vs. Only mating with people in the same town in Japan.

Biodiversity is very important.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys appeared yesterday in LADD, I loved them, but I can not buy them, also for $599 usd I would think about it a lot.
lg-1006211-263.jpg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like naked clownfish and misbar clowns. I'm not crazy about the lightning storm super saiyan longfin hypotenuse rosemary blend types that cost 400 a pair. In general I feel selectively breeding for fin or body modification is at best not my thing and at worst unethical because it changes the fish's ability to swim, though that's my personal opinion and I'm sure plenty of people have designer clowns that are treated wonderfully.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if everyone who feels clowns are so boring has an anemone in the tank to host the clowns?

The relationship between clownfish and the host anemone are what pulled me away from FW planted tanks to reef tanks. The interaction is fascinating to me. The rolling, nipping, protecting and even watching them feed their host keeps them at the top of the list of must have fish in my tanks.

Some of the designer morphs are pretty cool but I really like true perculas. If not percs, I really like pink skunks.
DSC_0179.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if everyone who feels clowns are so boring has an anemone in the tank to host the clowns?

The relationship between clownfish and the host anemone are what pulled me away from FW planted tanks to reef tanks. The interaction is fascinating to me. The rolling, nipping, protecting and even watching them feed their host keeps them at the top of the list of most have fish in my tanks.

Some of the designer morphs are pretty cool but I really like true perculas. If not percs, I really like pink skunks.
The anemone behaviour is very fascinating to watch for sure! My male black photon hosts a Ricordea Yuma and he certainly protects it from the Scott’s wrasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back