Do you prefer designer or normal Clownfish?

Designer or original Clowns?

• Designer

Votes: 52 21.5%
  • “Original”

Votes: 112 46.3%
  • Both / Depends (specify)

Votes: 68 28.1%
  • I don’t like Clowns

Votes: 10 4.1%

• Total voters

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guppies and Bettas and Discus and Angels and... now clowns?? OH MY!! Hybrids are for the .. hate to say it.. uninformed masses.. However, we have done the same with cats, dogs, horses, cows, sheep, and agricultural animal to get more food.. though.. fish in this category are not for food purposes.. It's about the money.. Now I dont hate money, it just gets to where I cant get the real thing.. I voted original... Tomatoes, Occellaris, Sebae.. wen was the last time you saw one of those.. that wasn't altered at least a little.. most of our tank bred forms of "original" are the culls from the hybrid breeding.. I will still take those over that abomination called "Long Finned"

Dania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love maroon clowns. But if I couldn’t get a big enough tank I would go for any HEALTHY and what I considered a pretty one

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pair of wild percs. It’s color is just so vivid that NO other clownfish can compete with it, except the snowcasso or doni lineaged Picasso and even onyx. From the last few times I have been to my local lfs, the “designer” Picasso clowns just looks strange. For example in a batch of the “designer” clownfish, more than half have a pitched head with a huge body. It just makes it so unnatural.
72176515-9965-45A6-9C5A-9D2D42B04BA2.jpeg

(I don’t enjoy the normal tank bred ocellaris clowns tho)

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose both. They are both clowns in my eyes, just different colour morphs.

The only thing that would deter me from buying a different colour morph is paying more for a colour morph with a silly name.
Another example of this hobby driving up costs for silly names, colour morphs and greed.

After saying this, I absolutely admit that I paid more for one of my clowns as it is a Picasso. :p I did this because she was already paired up with a regular colour clown at my Lfs. And I didnt pay full designer price, just a few bucks more.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really interested in designer clowns, I love clowns in general but not at those crazy prices. I’ve been torn between ocellaris and maroon so I ended up going with blood orange clowns from ora.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate clowns, whether its designer or normal, there is no point to them.
Would you have a dog that sat in a corner all day and night and when you went near it it bit you? Thats all a clownfish does. I just do not get the fascination with them, I'm sure Finding Nemo was made purely to annoy the heck out of me, they should have let Bruce eat the little jerk and finished the film there.
But each to their own.
I feel the same way lol! - kali

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 clownfish that I would call “original”, but I do like many of the designer clownfish (just not the price tag!) My personal preference is “anything that doesn’t bite” (little jerks!)

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught Percs are the ultimate IMO. Stunning colour and correct shape (captive bred don’t look right). I love my pair, and they spawn regularly.

Attachments

• D5F67076-A148-4CFB-93DB-6CEB9B603B18.jpeg
    D5F67076-A148-4CFB-93DB-6CEB9B603B18.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 9ABDFF70-0194-4951-A31C-D8DE3A741C45.jpeg
    9ABDFF70-0194-4951-A31C-D8DE3A741C45.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 59
  • CD94743C-9E8C-48C1-BADE-220EB37B8894.jpeg
    CD94743C-9E8C-48C1-BADE-220EB37B8894.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 65

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate designer fish. Nature has designed thousands of different fish for us, why do we want to add more? just to show off and have something no one else has? It really make me angry.
In addition whenever we tweak the outside look of the fish, what do we do to the invisible inside?
Lions and Tigers have been crossbred for our amusement, but the offsprings ligers and tigons are unhealthy. I am against doing that to any animals.
My 2 clown do not stay in the corner all, day, only at night and were able to stand up to my most aggressive damsel. I do not find them boring at all.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only designer clowns I like are:
- The Long fins
- Black photons
The only “wild” clowns I like are the misbars that get brought in, I just find misbar clowns to be the hidden gems (My black photon is a misbar and I love him, unfortunately I lost my Grade A female in August.. She just vanished out of nowhere).
I’ve never been sparked by the idea of wild clowns, I prefer captive bred ones which are often seen as designer clowns when really, they could just be the regular Orange and white “Nemo” everyone loves. It’s odd because people say wild caught clowns are different to captive bred clowns but I never see a difference, although I have never liked percs Eventhough my LFS have tried to sell them to me before I’ll always be more on the occelaris or hybrid side of clowns.

Last edited:

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all natural clowns, dont ask me how I ended up with black occ. though!

My captive bred clowns are dumb, one just spazzes out in place all day, and the other, if any dumber, would forget to breathe.

They are both difficult to feed because food needs to be right in front of them, they never track it down, they are also oblivious to other fish which is a danger with say my Midas blenny threatening to bite as they gyrate in front of his face in his rock.

As much as I believe captive breeding needs to exist, they need to add wild genes more frequently.

And no, the super crazy morphs do nothing for me.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got some lazy Clowns! I think the Black Occys are a natural morph though found in a narrow region from the Coral Sea to northern Australia.
Do they eat everything?
How do we add more wild genes?
The one eats everything, the other only eats marine S pellets, and only if you spray it in the face with them.

I was concerned for disease in the one, but its been the same 3 months ago as it is today, its just defective.

They should limit the number of generations between wild examples more tightly, I have a feeling a lot of inbreeding is happening.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree, and so much that I’m now pretty turned off from the Ocellaris complex. I’m going for a pair of Orange Skunks instead as they’re different and haven’t been bred nearly in the masses that Ocellaris and Percula have. Is your other one that only eats pellets just a picky eater or is something else going on?

The Orange Skunks look better, heard they’re still pretty docile, and are likely to have cleaner genes when captive bred.

rc4kinu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Latezonatus clowns for 15 years now. Love original wild caught or healthy tank raised without deformities. I even have them tattooed on my arm. If I wanted a fancy finned clown, I should’ve gotten a Betta instead! Love them as nature intended them to look like with their attitudes to match.

Attachments

• B69A727B-7EB2-4DB9-9EF6-6F665EF66742.jpeg
    B69A727B-7EB2-4DB9-9EF6-6F665EF66742.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 55
  • A8933081-2406-4AA2-BB8F-93AF67946D41.jpeg
    A8933081-2406-4AA2-BB8F-93AF67946D41.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 51

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should limit the number of generations between wild examples more tightly, I have a feeling a lot of inbreeding is happening.
But, inbreeding would happen in the wild, why is it wrong in captivity? It’s natural in many breeds of fish and other animals

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back