Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I’m currently doing a fallow period in my dt after buying a coral with ich from Petco. Epic fail LOL. My lfs has a fish less coral system and was wondering how many people actually qt their corals/inverts. I can barely grow coral in my dt I can only imagine growing coral in a qt tank + the cost.
Thanks for all responses.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't qt anything but here you go

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they aren’t affected by it, but after having to do a fallow period and treat my fish I don’t know. Maybe I just shouldn’t have corals, I also wanted to add a shrimp but I’m scared it’ll get my tank ich. After I add my fish back and get my tank fully stocked I’m taking my qt down because it’s to much maintenance.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will 2 weeks do anything? I heard it’s 6 weeks minimum preferably 76 days.
Check out the link I posted. It will tell you everything you need to know
Screenshot_20210116-173420_Chrome.jpg

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished quarantining a bunch of coral I bought off someone else. I had so much that I needed a 55g tank. I put in seeded sponges from my sump, a hob filter, wavemaker, and a some spare lights. It wasn't too much of a pain in the butt, but I guess that's relative. I had the tank in my office. I did once a week 10g water changes. I did have to dose nitrate to keep the levels up. If I had it at home, I would have just used the parasite free water from my DT to do the water changes on the coral QT and that would have helped keep up the alk and nitrate levels.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who follow a strict quarantine for fish, should really quarantine everything that will eventually go into the tank for 76 days in a separate tank without any fish. Inverts and corals included, because ich can technically be on the shells of inverts as well.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses, I’m still not sure, I’ll have to get some more votes and see.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** I don't advocate my method.

I dont QT any corals/inverts. In the past, I put new fish in isolation and observe for a few weeks. Treat as necessary. Not a true QT but an observation.

Inverts go straight in. Corals get dipped then straight in.

I assume my system has ich. My fish have never shown symptoms and the youngest is around 5 yrs old. My oldest is around 12 or so. I saw a spot of ich years ago and it went away after a couple days.

My understanding is that healthy fish in a stable system aren't really bothered by ich.

That said, any future fish will go through a QT similar to Humblefish. My concern is diseases, other than ich.

I won't QT coral or inverts. I'm never going to do tank transfer trying to ensure an ich free system.

Last edited:

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont QT but do dip my corals in some reef polyp conditioner for 5 minutes, rids of any flatworms and anything that might be hiding in them but max of 5 minutes.

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ich technically always there and only shows when immune system is down?

Had a powder blue tang come in and didnt notice any ich. after two days the tang is covered and the other fish show almost no spots. Did she bring it or was it because i already had it and the PBT is very common to contract???

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** I don't advocate my method.

I dont QT anything. In the past, I put new fish in isolation and observe for a few weeks. Treat as necessary. Not a true QT but an observation.

Inverts go straight in. Corals get dipped then straight in.

I assume my system has ich. My fish have never shown symptoms and the youngest is around 5 yrs old. My oldest is around 12 or so. I saw a spot of ich years ago and it went away after a couple days.

My understanding is that healthy fish in a stable system aren't really bothered by ich.

That said, any future fish will go through a QT similar to Humblefish. My concern is diseases, other than ich.

I won't QT coral or inverts. I'm never going to do tank transfer trying to ensure an ich free system.
I go on long vacations up to 4 weeks and I’m scared that if I’m managing ich something might happen and there could be an outbreak while am away. I believe this happened last year, I returned after a week long vacation and my water was black and the system had crashed all the equipment was working so I can only guess that it was ich as I didn’t qt.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ich technically always there and only shows when immune system is down?

Had a powder blue tang come in and didnt notice any ich. after two days the tang is covered and the other fish show almost no spots. Did she bring it or was it because i already had it and the PBT is very common to contract???
If you don’t qt it was very likely in your tank and on the fish.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go on long vacations up to 4 weeks and I’m scared that if I’m managing ich something might happen and there could be an outbreak while am away. I believe this happened last year, I returned after a week long vacation and my water was black and the system had crashed all the equipment was working so I can only guess that it was ich as I didn’t qt.
Usually it's something else that triggers the ich outbreak in my experience. The ich outbreak is the symptom. I go away for multiple weeks many times a year. Never had an issue. Knock on wood.

Many a reefer with more experience than me have said unless you are doing the strictest TTM for everything and doing it perfectly, without a drop of cross contaminated water, you probably have ich in your system....

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its possible to not have ich at all 100%? so only way to rid my tank is 76 day fallow? I got out the powder blue ( Which was most affected by far) and am dosing with Polyp Lab Medic for the rest of my fish. Am I wasting my time?

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will 2 weeks do anything? I heard it’s 6 weeks minimum preferably 76 days.
Definitely. In 2 weeks most of the hitchhikers will settle as the coral settles and start spreading in QT. U can notice them on glass, base etc and treat for them.
Also, I usually buy corals from stores that keep utility fish in their frag tanks. I believe that fish usually build up ich immunity but not against velvet. So if the fish in frag tank are ok there is no velvet in there. And 2 week QT of a coral/invert is more than enough to rid of most ich strains.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its possible to not have ich at all 100%? so only way to rid my tank is 76 day fallow? I got out the powder blue ( Which was most affected by far) and am dosing with Polyp Lab Medic for the rest of my fish. Am I wasting my time?
I did the same. Polyp lab helped but it won’t get rid of ich. I thought it was getting better and I would manage it but then it came back like a week later, probably the natural life cycle. As I saw it get worst I set up a qt and treated my fish with copper they are all good now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back