Do you quarantine?

Do you quarantine?

• Yes, no medicine

• No, just drop em in.

• No, but I observe fish prior to putting them in and do my best to maintain a healthy environment

• Yes, with medicine.

Results are only viewable after voting.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opening this debate back up... Anyone hmmmmmm?

I only buy my livestock from a company here in LA that QTs my fish for me. So far I have 100% survival rate with no issues (knock on wood). Granted it’s just one fish so far, but we get two more fish tomorrow (he’s currently QTing 6 other fish for me), so I’ll update accordingly. :)

Ken Ooi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantined fish will improve your chances of not passing a deadly virus to existing fish in your aquarium. Trust me I experienced it the hard way and lost 80% of my fish. That’s about 120 fish lost as they had no immunity

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the very least i'd recommend people observation QT for a decent bit. I just had a butterfly die after being in observation for over a month and i suspect velvet. every fish in there had been given a h2o2 bath except that one as i assumed it'd be safe since it was a biota captive bred fish from diver's den. if they were in a DT... yikes

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy my livestock from a company here in LA that QTs my fish for me. So far I have 100% survival rate with no issues (knock on wood). Granted it’s just one fish so far, but we get two more fish tomorrow (he’s currently QTing 6 other fish for me), so I’ll update accordingly. :)

I'm a realist, so i know i wouldn't truly devote enough time to fully QT fish myself, so I'm going to do exactly what you're doing. I'll be getting my fish pre Quarantined as well, probably through quarantinedfish.us

Although i think there's plenty of examples of successful tanks that do not QT, with having disease outbreaks from time to time, I'm certainly going to give QT a try. I'm glad there's options to purchase pre QT fish these days because if not... Gotta be honest i probably wouldn't do it

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me I experienced it the hard way and lost 80% of my fish. That’s about 120 fish lost as they had no immunity

Why did the fish have no immunity? If they came from the sea, they all had immunity unless they were quarantined which causes the fish to lose immunity.
I don't understand this post at all. ;Bucktooth

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did the fish have no immunity? If they came from the sea, they all had immunity unless they were quarantined which causes the fish to lose immunity.
How does one know if a fish is immune or not and to what? From the sea or otherwise?

How does quarantine in itself cause a fish to loose said immunity? The goal of quarantine is to remove parasites. How does removing those parasites affects the fishes immune system? Is it the copper and prazi reversing the fishes immune system or do the fish need to have the parasites present to remain immune to them?

Ich seams to be managable, but what about others like velvet and flukes?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish from the sea all have immunity. If they didn't they would have died before they were collected.

As to the rest of your questions, I prefer not to answer that as I have written volumes on it and I even wrote a book .
It will cause to many arguments and I am to old for that so maybe someone would prefer to answer. and this thread is not about that. :cool:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I. Don't spill coffee on it. :cool:
To answer your question, read the book. ;Joyful

Ken Ooi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new ones introduced from the LFS were sick and they exhibited these sign a few days later and they died themselves but also caused the rest of my stock to be infected which slowly within a span of a month they died quickly. Like five or six each time. Anyway it’s history now.

David_Carrera

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks crashed due to an ick outbreak once still haven't learned my lesson cause I still don't quarantine but I feel like as long as your purchasing fish from a well trusted retailer you should be fine(from personal experience) ick outbreak was due to a fish I bought from a different retailer and not a trusted one. Now I only purchase from my trusted retailer.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no I buy my fish from an LFS that does it for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back