Do you quarantine?

Do you quarantine?

• Yes, no medicine

• No, just drop em in.

• No, but I observe fish prior to putting them in and do my best to maintain a healthy environment

• Yes, with medicine.

Results are only viewable after voting.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first 2 fish were a couple gorgeous Picasso clowns. I had them in observation QT and about 3 weeks in they “got” Brook & didn’t make it.

After that I decided to make sure all my fish had proper QT. My strategy since then has been to find vendors that do the QT themselves.

I’ll give it a shot again at some point but we’re doing work on the house and, temporarily, don’t have the space for the QT tank

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe that people kill more fish in QT (stress, meds, poison) than would have died if just put into a more natural DT.

MY eel refused to eat in a bare bottom QT with PVC pipe. Thankfully eels can go for months without eating. He was eating the day I put him into the DT. We vastly underestimate the stress of a sterile bare bottom tank on a wild caught animal.

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't quarantine.

the method that has worked best for me is drop them in and only feed live/frozen foods and nuri.
giphy (9).gif

Ken Ooi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up for a month now and no fish as of yet. But when I do introduce fish I won't be quarantining. Not because I don't want to, but because it's impossible, at this point, to have a QT: I've pushed my limits in the house with the tank, ro/di water system and other equipment. I'm going to try my best to follow Paul b.'s method... but it makes it more difficult with a new system.

The other option I am considering is buying my fish from Aqua Locker (which I am planning to do regardless) and have them quarantine for 45 days. I know it's not perfect, but my options are limited.
there’s a risk of getting a disease your existing fish don’t have a built in resistance

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe that people kill more fish in QT (stress, meds, poison) than would have died if just put into a more natural DT.

MY eel refused to eat in a bare bottom QT with PVC pipe. Thankfully eels can go for months without eating. He was eating the day I put him into the DT. We vastly underestimate the stress of a sterile bare bottom tank on a wild caught animal.

I strongly disagree, I feel QT saves more fish then plop and drop. Now an inappropriate environment will kill any animal. If your QT tank is killing fish then it might be valuable to rethink the QT environment that you created. You can absolutely have rock and sand in a QT tank in conjunction with medications. I have done it both ways, and my healthiest fish have been ones who went through QT with medication living in a parasite free environment.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't qt to stock up my tank, although i did start getting cautious and only adding fish captive bred straight from ora or from an lfs that tries to at least qt.

but now that i'm working on getting a bigger tank, i just don't want to risk my current fish nor the future fish.

that said, i don't currently qt inverts or corals so i'm still risking it, but at least i'm reducing the likelihood and am at least setup to treat if the worst happens. and i might use my 10 gallon qt tank to qt inverts at least, qting coral.. ugh.

i get the desire to not qt, qting really sucks, but losing all your fish sucks too. i don't blame people that don't qt, but for me qting just makes the most sense.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a advocate for QT.

Personally I observe first and treat as needed overall if needed. Wrasses get prophylactically treated for internal parasites right after they can eat. Most carry some worms in their gut.

QT/ observation is a must at the Flipper house. Success rate is very high for me that way. Your milage may vary.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't qt to stock up my tank, although i did start getting cautious and only adding fish captive bred straight from ora or from an lfs that tries to at least qt.

but now that i'm working on getting a bigger tank, i just don't want to risk my current fish nor the future fish.

that said, i don't currently qt inverts or corals so i'm still risking it, but at least i'm reducing the likelihood and am at least setup to treat if the worst happens. and i might use my 10 gallon qt tank to qt inverts at least, qting coral.. ugh.

i get the desire to not qt, qting really sucks, but losing all your fish sucks too. i don't blame people that don't qt, but for me qting just makes the most sense.
I agree with your post. In a perfect world I would quarantine. But it's not perfect for me at this point. ;Smuggrin I realize my risk of not quarantining, but i have no choice at this time. I've pushed my limit with the tank, ro/di system, and other. I am taking measures to insure the best results within the parameters i have to work with, and I am willing to accept the consequences within those confines. Be well and thank you for your thoughtful post.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not nice.

To the OP and poll. I said no. I don't. However most fish get a inspection before they go in and also a Methylene blue and freshwater dip or bath. I have found that this is the best solution for me. I have my reasons for doing what I do and it works for me.
Remember, there is only one way. Anything different is wrong

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not nice.

To the OP and poll. I said no. I don't. However most fish get a inspection before they go in and also a Methylene blue and freshwater dip or bath. I have found that this is the best solution for me. I have my reasons for doing what I do and it works for me.

Everyone has their own methods and I would never tell someone else they are wrong in doing so. You are doing you and you know what works best for you.

I'm more so referring to those that go around saying we shouldn't qt and that it's less effective at preventing death and crashes in your reef. They are a bit dogmatic at times.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any links to a full step by step process of quarantining fish and coral with meds?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone has their own methods and I would never tell someone else they are wrong in doing so. You are doing you and you know what works best for you.

I'm more so referring to those that go around saying we shouldn't qt and that it's less effective at preventing death and crashes in your reef. They are a bit dogmatic at times.
Curious - that doesnt mean they are wrong - correct?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - that doesnt mean they are wrong - correct?

It’s wrong if they don’t present anything other than anecdotal evidence.

If they believe it works for them, that’s great! Can’t argue that. If they say it will work for everyone who follows the method, that’s another thing.

Back